The Mercado Family



Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Just Like Brother

I was saved by my friend Melissa's yogurt parfait yesterday. She hosted preschool and they celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. She had made these fabulous Cat in the Hat parfaits that Erik did not touch, of course. When I picked him up, I took it with me in case he sneezed on it or whatever. (Secretly, I wanted to eat it myself!)
Cuties at preschool!

Not even five minutes after we got home Erik had a collision with the corner of drawer on his mouth. Lots of blood. I didn't know where it was coming from at first. When I could finally see the cut I knew I had to take him to the urgent care. So, I grabbed that yogurt parfait and an apple and off we went to the urgent care.

4 hours, 3 popsicles, two movies, and one stuffed animal later we were able to leave. He got one stitch like Austin did.

He was really cooperative at first, stepping on the scale, getting measured; it was his idea to have his blood pressure taken. The problems arose when they had to put the numbing medicine on his cut. Being so close to the mouth, it was a difficult task anyhow. He didn't like it and started to get upset. When it came time for the stitch, it was like a comedy show. One doctor, two nurses, and me trying to keep him still while he kicked us all. Then he hid behind the chair and then behind the bed and tried to push the bed out the door. That was when we took a break and watched some movies. They give him some benadryl to help him calm down. Finally, after I convinced him that he needed to get stitched so we could leave, and with his arms in a pillowcase behind his back and both of us under the surgery cloth so they could stitch his lip through the hole, it was done!

The doctor felt bad that he had gotten so upset. I guess she's always really good with the kids and they call her the "Baby Whisperer". She's the one who stitched up Austin and he did so well, she figured Erik would too. I told her she was great and that Erik did better than I thought he would, which is true!
Was it worth it for one stitch? I don't know. The dr says he'd have a bump there if it didn't get stitched. It would be awkward there by his mouth. Maybe it was worth it...

I sure am glad I had that yogurt parfait to get me through!


2 comments: