The Mercado Family



Tuesday, March 3, 2015

More Progress

This progress has nothing to do with Erik's eating, but with his social skills, something I've been focusing on a little. I know he's a 3-year-old boy, but when he doesn't want anyone who is not in our family to talk to him at all, and gets really mad when they do, and then when he finally gets comfortable in a public area, "asks" for attention by growling, barking, screaming/yelling, and running  around or tackling people, I decided I wanted to help him get more comfortable in public situations. I'm sure it's mostly because he's getting older, but I thought taking him to that cooking class and a gymnastics class, that we've been doing, would also help as he is exposed to other kids and other adults in a learning environment. In January, he got to start going to the Sunbeam class at church. I think that has helped him too, though it's been rough. Jason, or I, had to be with him most of the time up until two Sundays ago. That's the week the progress started to take affect.

Erik stayed in the Sunbeams class the whole time by himself and even got a good report this last Sunday and the one before! (The teacher has also figured out the best way to help him calm down after Daddy leaves: ignore him!) At gymnastics last week, he walked by the teacher at the station she was assisting the children at (the other stations the parents assisted), instead of completely avoiding her. He even looked at her! He also stayed with the group more, rather than wanting to do his own thing. Then, when I brought him to a friend's so I could volunteer in Austin's class, he actually talked to the mom instead of avoiding her, which is what he has always done. She commented that she didn't know he talked that well because he had never really talked to her before!

Tomorrow is supposed to be his last day of gymnastics, but I will sign him up again if really wants to. Here he was last week when he was doing what he was supposed to.

Notice his shirt? It's the one I got him for his birthday that he refused to wear until now. 

This wasn't actually what they were "supposed" to do here, but he was staying on the right equipment, at least.

Can't go wrong with a tunnel!

The pit has been his favorite from the beginning.
Here's to more progress!

2 comments:

  1. I love my little E and love that he is progressing along,,,you are a great example of patience and love big V,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good mom, Val! I'm pretty sure all my kids prefer non-family people over family members. Maybe I should socialize my kids with each other better! ;-)

    ReplyDelete