The Mercado Family



Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Freedom With a 10-Year-Old

Victoria is almost 10 1/2. Over the past year, I have left her and Karissa at home by themselves while I went to the grocery store for about an hour, maybe 3 times. They were random times when the kids were home and I desperately needed to go to the store, but didn't want to take four kids. I remember the first time was a big deal. She was still nine. We went over and over about not answering the door or the phone. In fact, I had told them, since our door is also a window, that if anyone came up to the door, they were to freeze so the person outside wouldn't see any movement. Luckily, not many people come by, so I don't think they had to deal with it.

Last week they had two half days. On Thursday, Karissa had a doctor appointment with the optometrist at 1:30. I had decided that I didn't even want to take Erik. So, I gave Victoria her first real babysitting job with both the boys. When I returned, everyone was calm and somewhat quiet (playing wii helped with that) and the house was clean. The boys had chocolate milk, which they enjoyed thoroughly, and plenty of other snacks I am sure. I felt free!

On Saturday, I had to visit teach a friend with a new baby in her small apartment, at 9 am. We had a busy day ahead and Jason was going to a church leadership meeting in Lansing (Elder Cook was there among other prominent leaders) so I needed the girls to get their homework, chores, and piano done. I gave Victoria her second baby sitting job (both of these she got paid for, which she was thrilled about!) I brought Erik with me this time so they could get work done and not have to worry about monitoring the boys. I left a list for each of them and they were all super excited to get it done. I believe that Austin got most of his work done as I was getting ready to leave. Victoria took charge and helped him with the things he needed help with. Again, when I returned, the work was done and it was peaceful at home.

Needless to say, I am excited about this new-found freedom I have with a developing babysitter. Victoria definitely has a "take-charge" personality, and I think it will come in handy for when there's work to be done while I am away. Now, if I can only get her to do the same while I 'm around!!

She won the coloring contest at school, awarding her with this certificate toward a book at the book fair. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved babysitting as I too liked to take charge! and the CASH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - you have arrived!!! Parenting gets a lot more fun from here on out.

    ReplyDelete