The Mercado Family



Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gift of Service

I was very touched by the blog that my sister posted a few days ago on her blog: mcdonaldfamilynews.blogspot.com. We had decided with our brother that we would not exchange gifts this year with each other, but perform an act of service in honor of each other. Since they both live in Utah, they got to serve together, visiting some family members in a retirement home. Sounds like they had a great experience and their children really felt the importance of the gift of giving.

We had a few small opportunities to serve. First, we let the kids pick out cans to bring to school for the food drive. I always participate in this, but just hand the kids some cans and send them off to school. I decided to let them choose which cans they want to bring instead so they are more proactive in the experience. We also participated in the Giving Tree through church, another thing I always do, but again, the kids aren't as directly involved. I chose an 11-year-old girl from the Detroit area, hoping it would make more of an impact on Victoria. I had picked out and purchased the coat, hat and mittens, but had the girls come with me to pick out some toys. They also used their own money, which made it more memorable for them, hopefully for the better!
You can't see her Monster High dolls that Erik is holding, but we got her two of those. 

My mom and her husband are here for Christmas and got to share in our final experience of giving. We went caroling to our neighbor's homes on the 23rd. We caroled to a neighbor we don't know very well and she was the happiest and most appreciative. We also caroled on Christmas Eve at a retirement home with a couple other families from our ward. Some of the residents were pretty out of it, but you could tell they enjoyed having us there singing. Some waved their arms around, others joined in singing. I think they especially enjoyed watching the four 3-year-old boys run around.






I really hope our kids remember these experiences and that we can continue in this tradition.

Merry Christmas Karina and Derek!

1 comment: