The Mercado Family



Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Call Me Crazy

We started out December with a bang. As is our tradition, we went to the tree lighting at the Summit the first Wednesday of the month. Every year is slightly different and every year we love it just as much, sometimes even more! This year, the dancing was great, as usual. Cookie decorating (and eating): can't go wrong with that. Suddenly, we ran into this guy.

The Summit mascot Bartlett the Beaver.
 Then we ran into this guy. The kids couldn't get enough of him. Victoria met us there with her friend Janelle, and they enjoyed flirting with the Grinch. For this picture, Austin was intent on drinking his punch and a little wary of the Grinch. He warmed up later and was hanging on his leg, Erik on the other, but I couldn't get a good shot of them with the other people around discovering that the Grinch was there.

As we were making our way to decorate ornaments before heading home, Karissa saw the sign that Elsa and Anna were there for photo ops. I immediately assumed it would be too long of a wait, since Santa always is so we never see him at the Summit. Well, finally I agreed to check it out. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw no one in line to see them!! We waited 2 hours to see Tinker Bell at Disneyland last year and she was no better than these characters, except she had a wig. It was a moment better than Disneyland! Even Austin was stoked. We also got Elsa and Anna paper dolls they were handing out.
 When I ran into Victoria again later, I had to take them back to the "no line" room. She was pretty excited too.
 I took the boys home and Jason stayed a little longer with the girls so they could finish their ornaments. Since they were there 'til the end, they even got to sit on Santa's lap and get a candy cane without a line. Lucky girls!

The next night I took my girls to see our neighbor Bethany sing with her chorale group. There were some really good singers there! Her mom had given us 4 tickets, so I brought our friend Analee from church who we thought would enjoy it and knows Bethany from school.


After a late Wednesday and Thursday, I got to wake up Saturday to make the quiches I was bringing to the Relief Society brunch I was in charge of. Luckily, it was at someone else's house, but I had to plan and carry out all other assignments. Everything went well, though. the food was great and we had a service white elephant exchange where each sister brought a service instead of a gift. I will be getting a strawberry pie for Family Home Evening after the holidays. I am teaching someone how to crochet a headband with a flower and making one for that sister.

Sunday after church, I had about 40 people in my house for a farewell for our very good friends, the McEwen family. I had made butternut squash soup (one of my new favorites!), chili, and rolls and everyone brought a soup to share or a dessert. The McEwen's moved to China yesterday and will be there at least 3 years. They were our temple swap buddies and our holiday buddies. We will miss them! Of course, I didn't take a picture with them on Sunday, but have others with them. I was impressed at how well my kids did. I think since there were so many people here, they had no room to be extra crazy. They ate their dinner, played with friends, and I got to visit with everyone else. I was also impressed that our house could fit everyone!
Here they are from Easter.

And their 3 kids, Trey, Jasmine, and Ethan. 

This week we're unwinding. Way to start off the holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. i thought may be your weather was crazy,,,on those lasr two photos,, you are amazing,,MOre Holiday to COME

    ReplyDelete