The Mercado Family



Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Slush Days

If you remember, Erik is not the biggest fan of eating food. Rocks and sticks, yes, drinking milk, for sure, but food; not always. When we returned from our trip to Utah in late July, that very week, I started making slushies for the kids, with Erik in mind, since he likes to drink more than chew. I began with a recipe that my older kids always like. It's called Strawberry Watermelon Slush.

It calls for 2 c. of watermelon, 2 c. of strawberries, 1/3 c. of lemon juice and 1/3 c. of sugar. After blending those, you add 2 c. of ice. Erik decided that he loved it! He would get super excited and do his little elbow dance that I'll have to video tape sometime. My kids would beg me to make it for all their friends who came over. They all started calling it my homemade Slurpee.

I decided to make it healthier. I reduced the sugar to 1/4 c. and since we had so much zucchini from our garden (if you'll remember from my garden blog), I started adding a cup of zucchini. The kids never noticed and loved them just the same. I added kale one time, they liked that too. It's been over two months and I still make them every day, except one day. Erik is not as excited as he was and even didn't drink them for a few days, to my dismay, but he's back to drinking them again and the kids love them as their after-school-snack. I have substituted other fruits when I didn't have enough watermelon and strawberries. I found the fresh fruits work best and it is best to have mostly watermelon and strawberry (and zucchini), even if I do add some other fruits, to get the desired taste and texture they like. I don't know how it will go when my key ingredients are harder to find fresh, but at least for now Erik is getting lots of fruit and veggies in his slushie drink. Cheers!

Erik eating sand at the beach
 

1 comment:

  1. You are one smart Mamma! We do a lot of green smoothies. Our general recipe is some kind of juice in the bottom (or coconut water for Doug - it is super high in potassium, which he needs) of the blender, about a cup or two. Then I fill the rest of the blender jar with spinach, somewhat densely packed. Probably 4 cups of spinach? I give the blender a whirl until the spinach chops down. Then I throw in a banana or two - the browner, the better, and a handful of frozen fruit (peaches, mango, pineapple, strawberry, whatever). If Griffin needs protein, I add a couple of heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt or peanut butter, or both. If the smoothie needs a little sweetening, I add a tablespoon or two of honey. I probably make this 3 or 4 times a week. The kids like to have breakfast for dinner, and adding a green smoothie alongside the breakfast item gets veggies in the kids without "clashing" with the pancakes, or whatever. Somehow a side salad just doesn't go well with breakfast burritos!

    ReplyDelete