The Mercado Family



Tuesday, October 15, 2013

9 Years

Victoria turned 9 on October 11. I think I've said this a lot over her last few birthdays, but I can't believe I'm a mom of a child that old! Around Mother's Day, she and I went to a mother/daughter activity and we had to ask each other some questions. I had the "mom" questions and she had the "daughter" questions. They were simple questions about the future, favorite things, and wishes, but I wasn't used to such "grown-up" questions and answers and found myself thinking I was the daughter and looked for my mom a couple of times.

Well, she is nine now and is acting older too. She entertained Erik during sacrament meeting at church on Sunday. She gets him from Nursery and holds his hand until they find me in the hall. She's been going to choir practice with me and loves it. Yesterday, she played the piano much longer than she normally does, simply because she was enjoying it. Last week she did the dishes for me after dinner, without being asked, and said, "Thanks for the dinner, Mom!" When I smiled she said, "My teacher was right, it worked!" It's nice to have some recognition from some of my children now and a little help without so much coaxing like I've had to do in the past.

This school year she's been taking ballet and tap on Mondays and a Cecchetti (strict) ballet class on Tuesdays. She takes piano on Thursdays and attends Activity Day girls at the church every other Wednesday. She enjoys going to school to learn and see her friends. She loves to write still, loves science, music, gym, and recess. She still has a great imagination and hasn't grown out of playing with toys yet. She enjoyed the two races she ran in and likes learning about animals. We've been reading the first Harry Potter book together which has been enjoyable for both of us.

For her party this year, she wanted to go to the local community pool. She invited her "besties" from school and it was a blast! We celebrated the party on her actual birthday since it was Friday. They came to our house for pizza, cupcakes, and presents, then I took the party to the pool for open swim and Jason took Karissa, Austin, and Erik to McDonald's to play so I could keep a good eye on the party swimmers without distraction. It was nice to not have anyone to carry around or leap after and rescue for two hours! I enjoyed watching the girls swim, jump in the water, go down the water slides, and float in the lazy river. I even participated myself in some things! It was different to go down the water slide without someone on my lap! Even the car ride there and back was more fun with our "teeny-bopper" music playing and happy girls singing and chatting in the back.

It was a very Happy Birthday for her and a happy day for me!

Before school

Goofing around before eating


That's Austin's bum, trying to be extra goofy

I made half cupcakes and half 8" round cake...

Megan, Brynn, Victoria, Bethany, Shannon, Janelle

kiddie slide

jump contest

up to the big slide

lazy river


1 comment:

  1. What a fun party! Victoria is growing up to be such a lovely person - I wish I knew her in person :o)

    ReplyDelete