The Mercado Family



Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Red October Run

On Saturday I ran another 10K. My friend told me it's a great race for the family because the kids can enter and run for free. Victoria loved the race she did with her cousins in Utah, so we signed up again. I was a little worried about my own race since the start time was 9:50 am, which in my book is a little late to run a race. It was great for the kids, though, since we didn't have to get up super early. Their race was first at 9:00. Austin decided he wanted to run it this time. Jason ran the mile with Austin. Victoria, nervous to run by herself, took a place at the front and nailed it! They didn't time the kids, so I guess I should have timed her, not that it matters. She was the second girl in and was definitely in at least the top 10 kids.

Austin did great and ran the whole mile, though he was pretty tired the rest of the day.
Excited for the race!

Look at that air under her feet- she's flyin'!

Austin means business.

Our cheerleaders

For my race, I started in the front, which I don't usually do, but that's where I ended up. Soon after I started I started to feel really nauseated and it never got better the whole 6 miles! At one point I thought I should stop, but I never felt like I would actually throw-up, so I decided to keep going. It was very humid that morning and much warmer than normal for this time of year, so that didn't help. My T-shirt felt super thick and I wanted to take it off, but decided I shouldn't run around in my sport's bra. I had to tie my shoe at the end, which was a drag that I don't usually have to do. Well, I added about 40 seconds to my last race, which wasn't my best either, finishing in 48 minutes. It was a 7:45 pace, so not bad considering, but it was not what I wanted. Since we're not in Utah, where the real competition lies, I finished 2nd in my age group and was probably in the top 10 women (they didn't have a category with the top men and women overall). I also had many people impressed with the fact that I have a "big" family of 4 kids, something else that doesn't happen in Utah. So, at least I felt better with my race and I never did throw-up. Maybe my worries of starting so late were justified. The best part of the race was when Jason and the kids found me around mile 4 1/2 and ran with me for a little while. Austin found some energy and went pretty fast and Victoria would have finished with me if she could have. Even Karissa ran a while. It was a great family event for sure! Then we got to relax and listen to General Conference.



Completion ribbons

I'm feelin' good the first five steps.

Not feelin' so good here...

Peek-a-boo

Face-painting at the end

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Val!!! Sounds like such a great race - I'm always in awe of anyone who runs in races. I haven't had the courage to do more than walk a 5K myself, so I think it is amazing that you ran a 10K! Great job to Victoria and Austin, too!

    ReplyDelete