The Mercado Family



Sunday, May 3, 2009

"Tell the Story Of...."

These are Victoria's favorite words. Right now as I write this, she just said, "Tell the story of the princess." For the past few months she has wanted me to make up stories out of the blue about whatever is on her mind. Sometimes she does want me to tell her the story of The Little Mermaid or another known movie or story, but most of the time it is about something random. Like the time she said, "Tell the story of the bucket." The bucket? What bucket? Other common topics are: the butterfly, the princess, the flower, Yoda (our cat), Sponge Bob (don't even ask), and anything she is playing with at the moment. At least it allows me to use my oh-so-creative mind.

Lately I've been trying to encourage her to tell her own stories, which she does do. In fact, most of the time she takes over the story I start, usually because she doesn't like the way mine is going. One time she had a story going with all the characters known to her from books and movies. She was walking around, arms flailing, in her own story book world.

Last night Karissa was asking Jason to tell the story of the swan she was playing with. So now I'll have double duty. Who thought you would need a story teller's degree to be a mom?


Here's my creative cats on a stage at the museum.

2 comments:

  1. That's adorable! You'll have to transcribe one of her stories onto a blog post - then you'll have it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, but I don't think I can type that fast!

    ReplyDelete