The Mercado Family



Monday, February 2, 2009

Are These My Kids??

So we were supposed to go to Costco this morning since we need more toilet paper and cheese. (It sounds strange to go 20 minutes to Costco for those items, but obviously I would buy everything else we need from there as well and when you have cheese maniacs in your house, you don't want to buy a teeny tiny block of cheese for $4 when you can buy 3x as much for just $2 more!) In order to get back in time to go pick up Karissa's pictures from JCPenny and then home for naptime we needed to leave by 10-10:15. Usually they like going to Costco for the taste tests and then we share a frozen yogurt at the end. How can you go wrong with that? This morning they just didn't want to go. Normally, I would have made them come anyhow, but they were in the basement (our new playroom) playing so well that I thought we would go as soon as one of them comes upstairs crying, or they are bored and trying to get me to help them figure out what to do next, which usually happens within at least 5 minutes as soon as I leave the room.

Not today! They played together, happily I might add, for an hour!! I could not bring myself to even go down and see what they were doing. Actually, I knew they were playing "mommies", which is Karissa's favorite thing. That was why they played so well. Victoria typically likes to do different enactments from movies or books and they usually involve me crawling on the ground talking like Mufasa or talking like Mulan's father. Karissa will participate, but loses interest.

So what did I do with an hour of happy kids playing alone together without me even in the room? I got to do a thorough sweeping, mopping, dusting, and vaccuming! That means I would have time for my blog during naptime. The amazing thing is, I was doing all that cleaning, so they heard me and knew that I existed nearby, but I did not have one clingy child on me!

For those of you with older children, this may seem strange, but Karissa just turned 2 and Victoria is the boss, so draw up your own conclusion...

As for the cheese, sorry Jason, and the rest of my cheese eaters-we'll hit Costco another day.

2 comments: