The Mercado Family



Friday, March 8, 2019

World Sabbath Interfaith Experience

Victoria, Karissa, and I had the opportunity to play in a little orchestra at church a couple of weeks ago. We have a very talented lady in our stake, who used to be in our ward, and put together this  group, mostly of people from my ward, who play a string instrument, and a couple of flutists. She composed I am a Child of God and Teach Me to Walk in the Light for the cello, viola (which Karissa plays), the violin (1st and 2nd parts, Victoria played 1st and I played 2nd), and flute. There were 4 cellists, 3 violas, 6 violinists, and 2 flutes. It was beautiful and such a great experience for me to share with my girls. We went to a couple of practices and didn't have to practice too much at home, so it was doable! Our performance in sacrament meeting was nice and fulfilling for me!

The other reason this group was put together was so that we could participate in the World Sabbath event that was held at the Islamic House of Wisdom last Sunday evening. It was An Interfaith Experience of Music and Prayer. We added some youth and primary kids to sing I am a Child of God while we played, so Austin got to participate in that part. Erik and Jason attended and we all got to experience the beauty of music presented by other religions in our area. It was a great cultural and faith-promoting experience! The other religions were Jewish (they sang some songs and blew the Shofar), Muslim, Hindu (they blew the conch shell in addition to their songs), Christian, Zoroastrian, Amma, Baha'i, Jain, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints. At the end, we waved some pieces of fabric as a sign and pledge of peace among the religions. It was great to be around so many people who still believe in God. Even though parts got a little long, I think my kids really did enjoy feeling the connection with other religions. They learned, as did I, that we have a lot more in common than we think. The best part was the opportunity we had to share our testimonies in our music. We were one of the shortest numbers, but also one of the ones that had the most effect with all of our instruments. It turned out at this even that Karissa was the only viola because the other two (mother and daughter) were at the hospital. The daughter (Evelyn) had just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I played a little bit of the viola part at the beginning with Karissa, but she held her own and did great!! When it was over, we were treated to some Middle Eastern food (some of my favorite)!!

I'm not sure if our church will be participating in it next year, but it will be hosted at the North Congregational Church. They been doing these for 20 years now! Our church has participated in it here and there. I guess it depends on who holds the Public Affairs calling as to whether or not we participate in it.

Here's the video clip. Austin is singing the second from the right, Victoria is on the right of the man in the middle, and Karissa and I are on the left. You can hear Erik in the background and his funny noises!

(Now this week, my pictures aren't posting... sigh)  Maybe I'll post this and then try the two pictures I want to put up on another post.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this so much! How cool that you all got to experience such an amazing event as a family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love this so much! How cool that you all got to experience such an amazing event as a family!!

    ReplyDelete