The Mercado Family



Wednesday, March 13, 2019

My Birthday

I like being in my 40's now. 41 is not old to me anymore. I finally realize how young people in their 20's really are! I also kinda like having a teenage girl, usually;). She really wanted to make my birthday special for me this year. She made Jason take her out late Monday night to get me some gifts of things she knew I wanted or love. She woke up at 5:15 Tuesday morning to make me breakfast before going to orchestra, and at her choir concert last night she surprised me with a little birthday message on the mic. Such a big heart!

The other good thing about a teenage daughter is that I finally have someone to share shoes with!! When I was younger, I couldn't wait for my feet to become fully grown so I could share shoes with my sister. She always had cooler shoes than me and a pair of boots that I so wanted to wear. I could always make the shirts work out and some dresses, but never the shoes! Well, she wore an 8 (her feet have since grown even more;)) and I got up to a 6 1/2 and I never got to share shoes with her! Now, Victoria wears 6 1/2 and we recently bought a pair of church shoes that we're going to share. I'm so excited! She's been borrowing some of my clothes the past year and now she's letting me borrow some of hers. It's way too much fun for me!

Some of my gifts were a Vitamix blender (I knew about this one since Jason and I got it for a good deal), an awesome travel Osprey backpack, an art tile from Karissa, lavender soap, chocolate, and a sign from Victoria, and some surprise packages and cards in the mail from family and friends afar. I felt very spoiled!

My boys were funny, particularly Austin. That morning, as Jason was leaving for work, he mentioned my birthday in the prayer. Austin asked, "It's your birthday?" We said yes. He said, "I thought it was yesterday," as he stared at all the packages and gifts on the counter. And then said nothing! No, "Happy Birthday, Mom!" He just went on his day. I had to remind him later on that it's polite to wish people a happy birthday when you discover it's their birthday that day, even if it's your old mom!

I got to be the mystery reader in Erik's class and then Austin's right after. Erik was sure to tell the whole class it was my birthday and how old I was. I sure enjoyed reading to their classes though. I choose some great books, if I say so myself;)
My breakfast, with flowers from Jason.


My new sign.

After the concert. 

We always love birthday cake!!
I loved her songs this concert! Here are a couple of them, including her little surprise for me!






1 comment: