The Mercado Family



Thursday, March 28, 2019

A First

An opportunity arose for Karissa to cheer with the Varsity Steelers at a USA Hockey's National Team match. It was a fundraiser for the Steelers during our off season. We just had to buy tickets for the game and a portion of the money went to the Steelers. It has been my favorite fundraiser so far! We got to support the Steelers by watching a hockey game and our girls cheer after one of the quarters. They had only one practice to get ready for this, so it didn't require much time for that either. They invited all the girls who will be on Varsity this fall. It was fun for Karissa to be with her future squad.

There were a couple of problems from our side, though. Austin ended up being sick, so he couldn't go. The other problem was that they were supposed to cheer after the second quarter, but ended up cheering after the first quarter, so I missed it because I wasn't there yet and Jason missed recording it because he didn't know they were going to bump it up either. I do have a practice recording from the coach, which is awful quality, but the cheer looks good after only about an hour practice. It was nothing complicated, but the girls looked clean. Karissa is in the middle/back in green.

That same day, Victoria had extra dance practices for her upcoming recital, as well as her first church sponsored Winter Formal Dance. Due to the fact that she had to go a little late to the dance, she missed getting ready with the girls in the ward, but was happy to go "fashionably late". She wasn't sure she even wanted to go dance with boys, with whom she's friends with, and was hesitant to dress up super fancy. Luckily, we had this nice dress from our cousin Natalie, so we didn't have to worry about finding a dress that she might think would be too fancy. It turns out, she wore the perfect thing!

Part of the reason I missed Karissa's cheering was because I had to pick Victoria up from dance class and wait for her to get ready, then drive her to the church (leaving Austin to rest at home). I'm glad Jason called me on the way to the church to tell me I had already missed the cheer, so I didn't have to rush over to the game and could just go home with Austin.
She always looks good, even if she doesn't want to dress up fancy!


Victoria and Rose


They go all out to decorate the church for these Winter Formals each year. 
Victoria did enjoy herself dancing with her friends, even with the boys. Karissa and Erik enjoyed the hockey game with Jason. Austin and I relaxed at home. It was the first time I got to sit down in something other than the car all day! I even got read my book!

1 comment: