The Mercado Family



Tuesday, October 9, 2018

General Conference

What a weekend! It was jammed packed with partying, sporting events, rain, and a spiritual feast! I will get to the partying after Victoria's actual birthday.

I had to miss the first session of General Conference on Saturday because I was working at the snack shack for the football game prior to Karissa's We're required a certain amount of volunteer positions as part of the Steelers. I brought Karissa with me so she could work for an hour with me and then be to her game an hour early, as it required of the cheerleaders, and then Jason and the rest could be home and watch some General Conference. The rain cleared out just in time for her game. The game I worked the snack shack at was delayed due to the storms of the morning, which we experienced during Austin's and Erik's soccer games, lucky us.

I got to see half of the second session on Saturday and then the Women's Session that night with my girls. We went to the church for a social beforehand. I was impressed by Victoria's note taking that night and am motivated to take on the challenges that President Nelson gave us.

Sunday was much more peaceful and even very productive! I've heard the advice about going through your 72 hour kits every General Conference and even eating the food in them to replace with newer food. In all our 16 or 17 years that we've had 72 hour kits, we haven't really done that. I did add clothes for my kids as they came, and even gave them their own backpacks of extra clothes, but I hadn't replaced in about 4 years! Needless to say, everything in their bags was too small! Erik's even had diapers in it! I replaced all the clothes and added toiletries to the boys' bags (theirs didn't have any yet!) and now they all get to have their own bags of food.

For our Relief Society meeting this month, we had an emergency preparedness activity. We learned how to winterize our homes, canned pear sauce, and made 72 hours kits of food. The food was bought in bulk and people pre-ordered if they were interested. Someone had made up an menu with breakfast, lunch, and dinner for three days and bought according to survival needs. Those participating paid $11 per kit and filled them together. I don't think we'll eat ours every General Conference, just once a year at the October conference and replace the food then. We have MREs in our kits that are still good for a while. We actually ate two of them to just see if they were any good. Surprisingly, they were very tasty! I was thinking they would be useless, but Austin loved the spaghetti! Victoria, Karissa, and Erik ate leftovers from our dinner the night before, but I know they would eat the MREs, at least the girls would. Truth is, they didn't even pay much attention to them, they were so busy with their "conference projects". The girls made jewelry and art, Victoria did hair hair and nails, and Karissa made waffles, a smoothie, and cut the carrots and celery for our chicken noodle soup. It was so nice having Karissa help with all that food!  Erik played with toys and read books and Austin made Halloween crafts and read books too.
Here's the menu in the bag. It will come in handy when we need to replace the food. 

The back of the bag. A few of the things it includes are 3 bottled waters, some canned spaghetti, packet of tuna, granola bars, dried fruit, V8, fruit leather, candy, pudding, utensils...





Enjoying his smoothie that Karissa is getting very good at making! (she makes one every day after school too!)

Silly, lazy cats.

It was such a memorable conference. I can't wait to start our home centered curriculum!

No comments:

Post a Comment