The Mercado Family



Monday, October 1, 2018

6th Grade Camp and Homecoming

Karissa had two big events this week, though it was bad timing for these two events to fall during the same week. The Steelers' schedule this season has not been the best, with 3 Sunday games in a row that she didn't attend, though luckily they were away, and then Homecoming being changed to the Saturday after 6th grade camp, when she was gone three nights and missed those three very important practices! Oh well, that's the way it is. 6th grade camp is a one time deal and pretty much all the 6th graders at East go to an adventure camp for three days and three nights. They rock climbed, canoed, had a survival day, handled snakes, square danced, played team building games, built fires, etc. I don't have any pictures from the leaders yet, so I can't post those, but I can post that she had a blast and we're glad she could go.

However, I ended up picking her up a day early because she had a fever. She missed the last 24 hours of it and the bus ride home. At least she got to rest an extra day and a half for homecoming.

I felt awful that she and Olivia missed three full practices and I worried about their group's stunt. Well, I didn't need to worry anymore. The coaches decided to just nix their group's stunt. It makes sense, but I was a little disappointed. They looked great on their dance and Karissa never disappoints with her great smile and facial expressions when she's cheering. She's really becoming a great cheerleader and I'm so glad she's so into it and had such a good attitude about the poor schedule this season. Go Steelers!!

After the traditional meet-your-parents-at-the-50-yard-line run.


She made her poster this year. 

Cheerleader fans! We enjoy the game too...;)

She's really gotten so tight in her moves this year and her facial expressions are wonderful! Her coaches nicknamed her Diva, because she's a cheer DIVA!


 At halftime, their performance, after they passed out candy, was a dance to a song from Shrek. It was very cute, but she and Olivia were side spots, so they had some counts where they just stood there and looked cute. I would post that video and the others of her sideline cheers, but my camera/computer connection are having problems, so it'll have to wait. Here's a photo of the squad with their "Shrek" shirts on. They say"What the Shrek?" on the front.
 Their names are on the back.


The Diva cheerleader!

P.S. This weekend was also her last participation in the Primary Program, before she turns 12. She had an extra part for the opening of the program and did very well. Austin looked great, until he put a piece of gum in his mouth, then I had to give him the evil stare so he would still sing well ;). Erik sang every song, unlike in the past. He didn't give his part, though... maybe next year? Funny story about Erik related to the Primary Program. He has been singing the Primary songs while he plays, which he never did in the past. A few days ago, he was singing to himself, then suddenly stopped and said, "Wait, why am I singing Primary songs? I hate Primary songs!" I just about died in my quiet laughter!

1 comment: