The Mercado Family



Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Mother's Day

 Mother's Day had a different feel about it this year, and that's just fine. Instead of the moms of the ward going to a special lesson at church, they actually started the first Sunday of second-hour meetings, which meant some moms were teaching the Primary kids (as a group), Young Women's (obviously), and Relief Society. There were no special gifts given out and that was just fine! In fact, I didn't even go to church. Our family wasn't assigned to sacrament meeting (we go 3/4 of the time in person, rotating between two other groups). If it's not our family's turn to go, then we don't attend the second hour either. Except for the Young Men and Young Women. They can go to all the second hours. If they don't drive themselves like Victoria did, then their parents and Primary-aged siblings can go with them, otherwise, they just show up. Jason, being in the Bishopric, went to sacrament meeting while the rest of us watched from home. Then Victoria took Karissa and Austin to the second hour while I watched the broadcast RS class from home and talked to my mom and Erik watched a singing time on Youtube. That was very relaxing. 

Jason brought me flowers and gave me the pants I had picked out for myself (and were on sale). Victoria gave me a balloon and my favorite candy: Red Vines and Swedish Fish. Jason, Victoria, and Karissa made me blueberry pancakes for breakfast and stir fry for dinner. We watched some home videos of when I was younger, which was so fun! Victoria really wanted to watch Jason's and my wedding day- also really fun. Since it was raining and cold, we also watched The Wizard of Oz.

The best part of the weekend was on Saturday when Austin was able to complete his homework and help mow the lawn, way before he usually does. Victoria and Karissa had completed very successful work weeks at school, so they were in good spirits. Erik had things to keep him busy and when Austin was done with his homework, they had lots of time to play outside together. 

Having my kids feel that sense of accomplishment and fulfillment in the simple things in life really made me happy. I think that's what makes mothers most happy, is having their children find joy in the simple things in life. 




This is what everyone else ate for dessert, but I made myself a berry cobbler because I wanted that instead and no one else likes that kind of thing around here!

My breakfast. I really like berries!

Homemade card- beautiful!

My flowers from Jason.


1 comment:

  1. can you make the berry cobbler again when I come!! yuuuuummmm

    ReplyDelete