The Mercado Family



Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Halfway to 90!

 We celebrated Jason's 45 birthday on Saturday. Victoria lovingly reminded him a few times that he is now halfway to 90. 

Lucky him, his birthday was on a Saturday, but it also happened to be one of the first very busy days we've had in a while and he had a talk to write for church the next day, so maybe not so lucky for him? 

Since we're finally opening up more around here, I was happy for a busy Saturday. Also because I know there are not many of them left before summer and less busy Saturdays again. I think he enjoyed it as well.

It started with early soccer games for both boys at different locations, but luckily they were at the same time, so Jason went with Erik and I went with Austin (we usually switch off games for them. This was my first one alone at Austin's since my concussion and I was nervous.) Before we left, I had Panera Bread delivered for breakfast (breakfast sandwiches for Jason, Victoria, and me and cinnamon bagels for the others). There's free delivery this month and it was so nice because I could still go for my run and have breakfast ready and there when I arrived home! 

Both boys won their games. Austin 3-1 and Erik 9-1 or something. Erik even scored two goals, so that was his birthday present to Jason. He's usually on defense, so it was very special for him to score those. 

After arriving home we had to change clothes for Victoria's violin recital. It was at the church and our family was in charge of opening the building and setting up the Zoom meeting for grandparents and the actual teacher, who lives in AZ, but used to live here and has been teaching a handful of people from around here. 

On the way there Jason picked up 5 Guys' burgers and fries to eat while Victoria and others were warming up. When she was done she had to eat quickly and rush off to her dance recital practice. She did an excellent job on her violin performance, the best she's done on that song, another gift for Jason!

More about the recital later.

It's been a long time since we've hung out in the church!


When the rest of us returned home Jason had to work on his talk and Austin and I mowed the lawn so Jason could have the day off yard work. 

Jason took a break from writing his talk so we could celebrate with music, dinner, cake, and presents. He requested what we have called Rachelle's Recipe for over 20 years now, but is really maybe called creamy chicken, though I'm not sure! We got the recipe from my friend Rachelle, who reads this blog, over 20 years ago. We haven't had it in a while, so he was craving it! It was a good choice because it's in the crockpot and I didn't have much time to prep dinner, though I did stir fry some green beans to go with it. 

He opened some clothes from me, candy from Victoria, and nice homemade cards from the kids. I also got him a carwash pass that he wanted, though it's on the car I usually drive and we can't switch the sticker from one car to the other, but at least my car will be very clean this month! (I also took his car to be washed on his birthday). 

Luke's gift to Jason.

Victoria made Jason this awesome card that indicated he is now on the "oldness" phase of life, as opposed to the "normal" phase of life!

Carrot cake!




Karissa made this awesome card comic. She drew the meme that was attached to the QR code below.

It totally worked and he could view the meme from scanning the code! 


After carrot cake, we watched part of Torra!Torra!Torra! An old movie about the attack on Pearl Harbor that we all enjoyed very much. We finished it the next evening when we were all super tired. Jason gave a great talk too!


Movie time!



1 comment: