The Mercado Family



Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Soccer Surprise

 Jason was at Erik's soccer game with him Saturday morning, so I took Austin to his. The path to this particular field comes right to where one of the goals is, which is not a good spot. Austin and I stopped there for a moment to see which side his team was on for us to park our chairs (the players bring their own during covid times). Suddenly, I am hit in the head with a ball. I don't remember where on my head, but I did have a hat on so that probably helped. Here are the thoughts that came to my mind as I fell to the ground:

-I'm falling

-I'm much older than the last time I got hit in the head

-what about Austin? 

-will I lose consciousness? 

A small group of people had gathered around me as I struggled to sit up. I don't think I did lose consciousness, but a lady asked if I was okay and what had happened. She must have missed the flying ball too because she thought I just fell to the ground, or maybe she got there right after the incident. I had to tell her that a ball hit my head. She asked if I needed help and I told her that I didn't think so, but I just needed a moment. I could hardly talk to her because I had my face mask on and it was hard to catch my breath to talk and process everything at the same time. I was seeing lacy lights, but they dissipated after a bit and I was able to sit up and then stand up after another moment. I don't know how long that process took, maybe a minute or two, but the boy who kicked the ball was still there when I stood up and sincerely apologized to me. He was very sweet. He's actually one of the nicest kids on Austin's team. The lady carried the chairs over and set up Austin's chair for him so he could get warmed up. She checked in with me a couple of times during the game. It was nice to just be able to sit and watch the game for an hour. It allowed me to rest.

Going home, I felt pretty good, but a little shook up. I owed Victoria a Chipotle lunch for a violin challenge that she completed. I decided that I could benefit from lunch there as well. Afterwards, I was craving chocolate and grabbed a piece from my secret stash. It really did help me feel better and reminded me of Harry Potter when he is given chocolate after passing out from the Dementors. I decided to take it easy the rest of the day and was able to do so. I still didn't think I had a concussion, though I had a headache, felt jumpy, and had a hard time remembering a few words (which isn't too unusual for me, but more than normal). I was never nauseous, though something that did happen and made me think I might have injured myself more than I thought, was that I got my period 1 whole week early which never happens. 

I didn't think much of that at first, but on Sunday evening, when the lights were bothering me and giving me a headache, Jason mentioned that I might have sustained a slight concussion. I looked up concussions and menstrual cycles and they do relate. They can either bring it on faster or postpone it. Kind of weird, but I guess it makes sense. 

I decided Sunday night that I should take a break from exercising until I start to feel more normal. I did go to work yesterday and today because I can function, I'm just really tired and a little slower. It takes me a moment to process things and I often have a slight headache, feel a little dazed, or am extra tired, though I don't always have all of those symptoms at the same time. In fact, writing this all down is helping me. At this very moment, I don't have a headache and my words are coming well to me, so that's good! 


2 comments:

  1. Whoa, no bueno!! Prayers for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even as a read this and again am reminded of what you have just been through and I sad that you got hit/ glad that you recooped quickly/ mad that I couldnt be there to help

    ReplyDelete