The Mercado Family



Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Birthday Celebration in Quarantine

We celebrated Jason's 44th birthday on Friday. Actually, it wasn't much different than we normally would have done if we were not in quarantine. We could have gotten take out, as we have on his or my birthdays in the past, but he did mention that he wanted chicken cordon bleu for dinner, so I decided to make him something yummy. Actually, I decided to make him some yummy meals for the whole day, since he was working in the basement.

I made him locs and bagels for breakfast, one of his favorites. A tuna sandwich on an asiago cheese bagel that I had gotten from Panera Bread earlier in the week, with some good veggie and cheese fixings.  I made the chicken cordon bleu for dinner, something I haven't made in a long time! It turned out pretty good. I included the oven-roasted potatoes that he likes and even broccoli with melted cheese, something I never do, but he loves! While at Costco the day before, I noticed that the carrot cake was on sale, another of his favorites. I decided to spoil us all and buy it. I had already broken the news to Karissa that Jason wanted a lemon pound cake (he put the mix in the cart about a month earlier). I gave her the option of making it, but she wouldn't be able to do her usual cake with the fun frosting because that wouldn't work for the pound cake. So I didn't feel bad just buying a cake and negating her of doing one of her most favorite things: baking and decorating a birthday cake.
Down in his "office" with his birthday mug.

The window made it difficult to see his dinner...
We love carrot cake!



Between eating good food and drinking a larger size of Dr. Pepper (another little surprise for him that he actually shared with the kids), Jason went back down to work throughout the day while the rest of us did our homeschool thing. He finished work early so he could open presents, eat an earlier dinner, go for a little bike ride in the neighborhood, and play Cover Your Assets before it was time to watch our Friday night movie Murder on the Orient Express. It was a great movie and we all enjoyed it!
He was super happy to receive this whole milk plain Greek yogurt, as you can see from his genuine smile. He had been watching videos about how to use that as a marinade for chicken for a few nights in a row and had mentioned that the next time I saw it I should pick one up. I didn't think he would be so excited to receive it as a gift!! 

I also gave him some bbq spices that he was pretty happy to receive as well. 

He had already purchased the carry bag (left) and the cover (right) for the dutch oven camping kitchen table that he also purchased (see below). Victoria picked out the shirts (middle).

Luke approved of the table.

I think the birthday turned out pretty good, even better than other birthdays for Jason or me in the past. At least we were able to see him for most of the day, and he was done early so we could fit in a little bit of all of our favorite activities as a family! Happy Birthday to Jason!!


2 comments: