The Mercado Family



Friday, March 20, 2020

Social Distancing

This has been the longest week of my life! I went into it feeling ready. The kids went to school last week, when many did not, and brought home any projects and homework they needed to work on. They got a few assignments. I worked with them to make a schedule so we can keep up on our work, but have fun and relax at the same time. I bribed them with a trip to Cedar Point when all this is over if they can keep up with the schedule. It includes 2 hours of school work (including work on various educational websites), 2 hours of PE, an hour and a half of music and art, some chore time, free time, and family time. We started off with a bang on Sunday when our private sacrament meeting went for about 2 hours. The Spirit was so strong, the kids were really reverent and engaged, and the boys actually volunteered to sing the new primary song they are learning. We had some good discussions and watched some church videos, along with reading the scriptures.

Somehow, during the week, though, I just started to get discouraged, overwhelmed, and depressed. I couldn't get out of my head the unknowns in all this. Then I got scared because I was feeling more fearful than faithful, even though I've been reading my scriptures every day individually and with my family. I work out, eat well, sleep well, but then I read the news and those negative feelings creep in. It feels like some sort of nightmare that we can't wake up from. It doesn't seem real.

My mom and Jim were scheduled to come on the 19 in preparedness for Jason's and my trip to Chile, which won't be happening this year. We decided that Jim shouldn't come because of his asthma and his age. Travel wouldn't be good for that. My mom wanted to still come out, if she could, for her sanity's sake. Jim is keeping busy helping neighbors and his kids with house projects. After the earthquake in UT, the airport was closed for a bit, the day before she was supposed to come. We thought that was the end of our sanity for sure!

Well, the airport opened up and she was the 2nd person at the very clean and very empty airport. She made it here and she washed up real good. Her presence has helped distract me from everything else. It was a nice change, even though I have enjoyed being with Jason and my kids. Jason still works all day from the basement, and there's only so much I can take of bringing creativity into our scheduled day so the kids will keep on doing it.

I know it's so hard for everyone everywhere and I'm lucky I am a trained teacher, so I do have resources and skills that have made this easier, perhaps, than for others.  We just have to keep on doing what we know is right and say lots of prayers to make it through this!!

Helping with dinner.

Seminary online.

Study time! Using the wonderful technology that I don't always love, but Austin loves doing the math and reading websites on his chrome book.

Erik gets to do his work in Jason's and my room so he and Austin have some space.

Jason's set up in the basement.

Yoga poses and crazy time


Music time


I didn't get any pictures of them jumping, but this is after an hour or so when they were pooped!

The cats are wondering why we're here all the time. They can't get into as much mischief with us all here!

We've been playing lots of games. Some thinking games and some movement games.

Erik still loves his toys.
My mom and I were matching when she arrived!

Private yoga class!

Bike ride in the wind and cold!

Science!

The best picture of all: the rainbow this morning. It brought so much needed peace and comfort! Heavenly Father is aware of our suffering and loves us!!

1 comment:

  1. Solidarity, Sister! Yesterday about undid me. So glad Doug was off today and could tag team homeschooling with me! Good luck, and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete