The Mercado Family



Monday, March 9, 2020

1st Dance Competition

For Victoria's first dance competition she danced in one number, the "razzle dazzle" tap number, as the judges awarded them with the title. She will dance in two numbers in a couple of weeks, when Jason and I are in Chile, so hopefully, I can see her other dance from someone's recording. I'm not sure why they didn't dance the lyrical number, but there was a lot that I didn't understand about the dance competition that I learned. I've only ever been to cheer competitions.

I learned that some studios perform a lot of numbers. I mean a lot! Our studio, between all the solos, trios, and group numbers, had a fair amount, but I wasn't there for the solos and trios, just the group numbers and there were some studios that definitely had a lot of group dance numbers!

I also learned that the dancers who compete come from families with lots of money! For every solo and trio you perform, and for a certain amount of group numbers, you pay extra!

I learned that there are multiple awards ceremonies, one after every few hours, and they last for about an hour. We were only there for one segment, and therefore one sat through one ceremony. It was very exciting, but one was enough for me!

The last thing I learned is that Dancin' Feet is the best! Not only was I proud of how well the girls did, but I was also proud of the fact that their coach didn't book them for too many dances so that they could perform quality performances and that they performed with appropriate attire and moves for girls their age.

Victoria loved every minute of it and would love to do a ton more next year, so we'll be taking donations for her entrance fee for a solo or trio (ha! J/K) She's ready for the next one at the end of the month and has really put her heart into dance. She said recently that it's the best thing that has ever happened to her.

The tap number was The Muppets. It won second place for their age group and the Razzle Dazzle award as a special one from the judges.

I couldn't tell who Victoria was for the first, like 16 counts, of the dance. We were farther back than this picture and my eyes were kind of watery that night. Jason kept trying to show me where she was, but I couldn't find her!







She earned two pins, one for the 2nd place and one for the special award!

And got a beautiful cookie from a special dance mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment