The Mercado Family



Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Preschool Summer Job

Since our wonderful friends, the Loosli family, moved at the beginning of the summer, my girls and I decided to take on their tradition of holding some summer preschool classes at our home as a good way for the girls to make some money and have some experience. Victoria was an assistant to Analee Loosli for two summers when they held it at their house. This summer, she took on the "lead" role and Karissa was the assistant. We only held two sessions this summer since we weren't home very much, but we're hoping to do more next summer, especially since it went so well! One mom kept saying we should have done it every week, so maybe we can even get in 4 sessions next summer if we plan it right.

Victoria and Karissa planned for the first session on our way home from Disneyworld. The theme was transportation. I was impressed at how well they planned a variety of activities and knew how to alternate between active activities, structured, free play, and "circle time". I guess having come to work with me many times gave them a good basis for how to lay out a preschool lesson. Even the day of, the girls were very professional and the boys did a great job "staying out of their way". They supported the girls by cooperating and participating when appropriate.
First session circle time.

A game the girls created that involved the children moving like different modes of transportation.


Our second session was all about bugs. We had a few extra kids and one of them was a fair bit younger, but I had invited him on purpose, thinking he would be a good fit. After I had watched him a week before at playgroup, I knew he was going to be a bit too young, so I assigned Austin to be his special buddy. Austin was wonderful! He stuck with him and guided him gently to where he needed to be. Austin got some of the pay for that session! (We charged $5 per kid for the two hours).

I am so proud of my kids for being such great preschool teachers! I have no expectations of them doing this when they're grown up, but if they want to do it over the summer at Red Bell when they're 16, they will be hired there for sure!

Story time at second session.
Hunting for bugs. Yes, some of the older ones are almost as tall as Karissa.

Looking at the bugs in the compost bin.


Bug yoga.

Snack time: ants on a log.

Austin and his buddy making the craft.


They colored plates and glued on spots to make lady bugs.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure they were just fantastic teachers! Sound like fun, and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete