The Mercado Family



Monday, May 9, 2016

Favorites

I love being a mom to my four children. They are so special and unique in their own ways. With Victoria's dance recital every Mother's Day weekend, she's usually pretty tired on Mother's Day. This weekend was no different, so there weren't many extra special things done for me, except Jason made a delicious shrimp dinner and Karissa and Austin made the brownies for dessert. The best thing, though,was that they all played well together and we had a great family home evening about our ancestor mothers (mine and Jason's grandmas, great grandmas, and of course the kid's grandmas). We did a relay race for our activity, which was run by Victoria.

What I got out of the day was the time I get to spend with each of my kids daily, doing some of their favorite things. 

Erik: every day he loves to play with his puppets with me. They're actually not his. We check them out from the library, so there are different ones every week. This week we have a polar bear, an eagle, and a squirrel. 

Austin: Austin loves to talk to me every night when I follow him around to make sure he's getting ready for bed. He will talk and talk about minecraft, about Star Wars, legos, his friends, or whatever else is on his mind. It reminds me of some very talkative people from my growing up days...

Karissa: even though she is a great reader and when she gets in her reading mode, you can't get her out of it, she loves for me to read to her every night. If it's a little too late and we haven't much time, she still insists I read for just a couple of minutes. It helps her fall asleep faster, she says. We read a lot of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books recently, and to my surprise, I actually enjoyed them!

Victoria: lately she has been keeping up with a hair blog. I think a family who are members of the church run it. She gets all these creative hair styles from it and then wants to do them on me. Usually it's at night when the others are asleep. She sprays my hair with water and hairspray, and then, of course, it doesn't look good the next day, but it's fun to see all the different hairstyles she can do! Let me just say that she's way better at doing hair than I am!
This is the last one she did. It was the best because I slept in it and then ran it the next day and it still looked good, so I wore it that whole day!

On Mother's Day, Erik wanted his picture by the tree, I guess we should have moved over there, but we were pressed for time. 

I wanted the picture by the flowers, so this is what I got from Erik. 

And this....
 It's great to be a mom!

1 comment: