The Mercado Family



Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Birthday Bash

We were privileged to have another birthday bash weekend celebrating my dad's birthday with him, and Jason's. Two years ago my dad and Mary Lou came out over his birthday when my dad turned 70. They were here again this year to help celebrate Jason's 40th the day after my dad's birthday.

It wasn't all birthday fun, though. We started with a Ladies' Night Out that my kids' orthodontist put on for the women of her office. I took Mary Lou along with me about an hour after I picked them up from the airport. It was at the Stayin' Alive Night Club for some Mexican food and Salsa dancing lessons, all provided for by Dr, Teifer (I love our orthodontist!)

At the Night Club
 The kids did their usual activities: school, piano, dance, soccer, and Wizard of Oz practice for the upcoming play at Miller. Jason and my dad even got to take the boys to the father/son campout on Friday night and us girls made pizza and watched a movie for a girl's night in. Actually, the boys didn't sleep at the campout, just did the nightly activities and came home, but went back for breakfast the next day. Luckily, the campsite isn't very far. It was probably good they didn't sleep there because it was like in the 30's that night with rain, as usual. The father/son campout always gets rained on! They didn't sleep there because Jason had just had a 3 inch incision in his back to finish up a mole he had removed a couple of months ago. It was benign, but atypical. 14 stitches in the back makes things like sleeping on the ground difficult for a person! I am the lucky one who gets the wash and dress it every day! Let's just say that I don't have the nurse/doctor qualities that allow me to do the job without feeling like I'm going to get sick....

The hair stylist is in!


While the big kids were at school all day, Erik got to go garage saling, on walks, to the ice cream shop, and Belle Isle with Grandma and Grandpa and me. He did very well with all the adults around.
On Belle Isle
Belle Isle Botanical Gardens
Downtown Plymouth 
Downtown Plymouth on our walk after our special birthday ice cream outing. 

For the birthdays: on Saturday, my dad got to go to the father.son breakfast in the cold, watch Austin play soccer in the cold, and then we had some good meals and played games at home the rest of the day. Belle Isle was supposed to happen Saturday for his birthday, but we changed it to Friday so we could at least have nice weather while we walked around there. So, for the rest of his birthday we hung out at home. Since Jason's big day was on Sunday, I wanted to take him out to eat. So Grandma and Grandpa got to man the kids over dinner and watch a movie with them while Jason and I went to Black Rock, a new place where you cook your own meat on a black stone from Australia that's heated at 755 degrees. It was pretty cool. When we returned, we had cake and ice cream.

Dancing to the birthday song.

Apples to Apples

I didn't do 72 candles...

Jason's birthday morning consisted of his favorite breakfast, biscuits and gravy, and gifts. The rest of the day was church, family home evening, and more cake and ice cream!

Awesome gifts!


Check out his new sport coat and tie! He even looks good still in his pjs!

Looking dapper...

Doing the "dab" with Victoria.


I did a 4 and a 0 for Jason. 

All in all, I think we all enjoyed both birthdays and the time we got to spend together. Happy Birthday Dad and Jason!

1 comment:

  1. 14 stitches is brutal! But happy birthday, all the same, Jason!

    ReplyDelete