The Mercado Family



Monday, September 28, 2015

The Long Awaited GameM

We have been waiting for BYU to come to Michigan for a couple of years. We had decided we wanted all of our kids to go to the game because they wouldn't get to see BYU play for a while again, most likely, and we couldn't decide who to keep home!

BYU fans around here were shaking with excitement! Our very own stake center got to host the fireside with the players and coaches, the night before the game. Victoria ended up going to a birthday party, but we brought her hat to get some autographs for her. We didn't get the most "well-known", but the kids didn't care and Jason got to shake hands with Taysom Hill.
With Tanner Balderree at the fireside.

Two line men and Karissa with her bff Olivia. 


Some great friends of ours put together a tailgate party, which was so fun. People we knew who had lived here before, and since moved away, came and we had a little reunion. We didn't have any family come, but many people hosted family members from all over to come to this game. It was a BIG DEAL here.
Walking to the tailgate party, all pumped up!












Signatures on her hat!























Matt and Adam cooked up good food. Yes, Adam is from MI, but he's in a divided house, like many people are around here.
Then there was the game.


Let me just say that it was the worst game I've ever been to in my life! I don't think I could cheer for one good thing that happened. I take that back, I clapped my hands a few times for a couple of the first downs, but even those were far and few between. We didn't even have possession of the ball most of the game!

Okay, positive side now. My kids, especially Austin, got really good at "making noise" when we were on defense (pretty much the whole game). He loved stomping his feet in the stands for that. Victoria did at the beginning, but she was pretty let-down by the loss, so even stomping her feet lost it's appeal after a while. Since it was the first game the younger three had ever been to, I made sure to point out all the exciting things, besides winning. We had a good view of both sets of cheerleaders. I don't always know what's going on in the field (especially in the nose bleed section), but I know what the cheerleaders are doing, including the names of every stunt! We cheered with the cheerleaders and changed "Lets Go Blue" to "BYU" every time. We enjoyed the band and all the songs played over the loud speakers. When it was time for the wave, we watched, anticipated, and participated, just as if we were having a great game! Before the game, I was worried that if we lost, I would regret bringing our kids with us, but after seeing some of our friends after the game who didn't bring their kids, I think I was better off with the distraction and ended up having a good time. We had stuffed their pockets with star bursts, mine and Jason's with granola bars, and only had to buy water (very expensive water). Another really good thing about the game was the weather. It could have been bad. The other times I've been to games in the Big House I have frozen my buns off. It was perfect. 70 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze. We sat mostly shaded by the scoreboard, so I didn't even have to worry about the spot on Erik's neck that I forgot to put sunblock on!

One more positive note. We have three teams we follow in our home. BYU, Nebraska, and Michigan. Two of our teams won on Saturday!



Ready for the game!!!


After the game... 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun family outing! Too bad the game was so miserable. We turned it off half-way through the second quarter. My dad did his masters at Michigan. I texted him after the loss and said that his alma mater just humiliated mine. Fortunately, our other college team (Texas A&M) won later that night. Cheered us up significantly, as did the women's broadcast. Oh, Cougs - what happened?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love sharing football with you and your family,it is the ONLY way,but, besides being on our mission here in Philly,we were Literally on lock down here because the Pope was in town, and thus we cheered for a different team this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete