The Mercado Family



Friday, May 1, 2015

TAG School, Here We Come!

Yesterday after school, Karissa told me she learned about what irony means. We had a little discussion about examples of things that are ironic. I realized that I have the best example of irony.

Two weeks ago, I received a letter from the school stating that Karissa was 4th on the waiting list to get into the TAG (talented and gifted) program for third grade. Enclosed were her test results. I was impressed, and surprised, at how high they were. I've always known that she's a bright kid, but she's often in, what we like to call, "outer space". She needs some prodding to get her work done, but once she's focused, she does really well!. She's been in what the principal described, and what I can attest to, a "rigorous" second grade class, so I've been prodding her along all school year. Her teacher raves to me at how talented she is, but agrees that she needs a little nudge to get her going.

Supposedly, I was going to find out whether or not she would get officially accepted in June, after all the other parents turned in their acceptance letters for their children by a certain deadline. In the meantime, I did my homework to know if TAG is right for her. I talked with the TAG principal, one of the third grade TAG teachers, her current teacher, and many moms whose children are in TAG, or who got accepted for next year. I even talked with a mom whose child was accepted and they declined the opportunity, and they somewhat regret that decision. Of course the best way is through prayer, and I've done that too. I felt confident that it would be a good fit for Karissa. Yesterday, we got a call that a spot has already opened up, and she is in! Okay, I'll be honest, I cried when I found out. Not that it's that big a deal to me, it's just that this whole idea was so unexpected to me and I've been aware over these school years at how blessed I am to have my kids doing so well in school. Whether or not any of my kids get into TAG, they are all bright and talented in different areas. They all love to read, and Austin has learned to read this year amazingly well. When I was in elementary school, I felt dumb. I struggled in math, was not the best reader, in fact I didn't even like to read on my own. It wasn't until the middle of my Jr. High years that I felt like I could actually do somewhat well in school. That was because I learned that if I worked hard enough, I could do it, thanks to my parents for their example of that. I just hope that now that Karissa is in TAG, she will continue to work hard and not use the excuse of being "talented and gifted" for her to slack off.

The irony in all this? Our home school, Miller, has been the TAG school as long I I have known it. Starting this fall, the TAG students are all being sent to a different school, Galimore. Now that I finally have a student in TAG, it won't even be at our school! Luckily for us, Gallimore is the next closest school.

1 comment:

  1. WTG, Karissa!!! I completely understand the tears. Getting a school to fit the needs of my kids has been an endurance race. When the answer to prayers falls in place, it is such a sweet feeling! But ironic, indeed. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete