The Mercado Family



Wednesday, September 24, 2014

And Then There was One

For the past four weeks I've had only Erik at home, at least of my kids. I have watched Logan many times, often I pick him up from preschool, and I have watched other kids here and there. Erik has adjusted better to the new schedule than I thought he would. He has played really well with Logan and the other friends who have come over (all mostly older than him), and he has played well with just me around. Sometimes he helps me when I'm gardening, baking, doing laundry, or cleaning, sometimes he likes to play by himself. He loves to give Austin a big hug, though, as soon as Austin comes out of his class. It's pretty darn cute!

It's still different for me to watch three of my kids get out of the car and walk up to the school. Austin has just been good about it from the beginning, like he's been doing it for years. He used to always be somewhat crabby in the evening and kindergarten hasn't made that any different! He's not any more tired than he used to be. Often, when I pick up the kids and have Logan with me, Austin enjoys the few minutes he has to play with him on the playground before we take Logan home and doesn't complain about not having had much time with his friend.
Ready for picture day! 
 Karissa has loads of homework for a second grader (more than Victoria has by far!), but she's doing well adjusting to the load. Victoria has only one week night of dance, and the other dance day is Saturday, so that makes her week days a little less busy, which is nice.


So what have I been doing with only one kid at home? Besides watching other kids, spending time with Erik, and working on my calling for church (I'm now the Relief Society activity coordinator), I've been canning salsa, apple butter, raspberry jam, and freezing pesto and other apples to use up our harvest. I've been helping a few friends with some things and I've been cleaning and organizing. It's nice to see the house a little cleaner with less kids at home the whole day to mess it up! While I enjoy my time without the three older kids, I do enjoy it when the return home and I feel more relaxed and ready to chat with them and take them to their after school activities on the nights we have things going on.
After preschool, waiting for the older kids to get out of school.

Logan's first day of preschool.


Didn't know this came out so blurry! Erik and I went to a music class yesterday. We'll start doing some more "Mommy and Me" classes as the year continues.

I really look forward to the "swim and gym" playgroup Erik and I will start soon and to our cooking class in January. I'm hoping it will help his interest in food!

1 comment:

  1. You have helped your children in so many ways. When they adjust to changes easily that makes it easier for you to transition,,GOOD JOB,

    ReplyDelete