The Mercado Family



Saturday, November 24, 2012

Happy First Birthday!

Thanksgiving was great! We had friends over and Jason added this yummy, new, fresh stuffing recipe to his already amazing selection of Thanksgiving foods.




But now we get to celebrate a birthday around Thanksgiving- Erik's! This year is was the day after. I guess it'll keep getting farther away until it actually falls on Thanksgiving one year. Since we had friends over on Thanksgiving we decided to go simple with Erik's first birthday. He has enough siblings now anyhow that we didn't feel like we needed to have a big celebration. If you look at his face in this picture, I think it was good we didn't. He looked a little frightened as all five of us sang in his face with a big cake in front him, lit up with a candle.

My goal was to spend as much time playing with him as I could, and that would be birthday enough for him. And it was! He loves to play "catch" now, so he would throw the ball to me and I would throw it back and he would go chase it. The kids played with him a lot too and loved putting on the Beatles' song Birthday to keep up with our tradition.

Since Monday, Erik has been walking about 1/3 of the time. (Actually, today he's mostly been walking.) He loves to push his walker around, dance to music, play with cars and balls, and walk around. He says "dada, dada" a lot. He did say "mama" as he grabbed onto my leg last week, so I think he know what he's talking about! Eating is still slow, but he does drink milk from a bottle now, so we're on the right track!

He seems to be less aggressive with his friends now and not as interested in the toilet, so those are some good things he's outgrown, at least for now!

 He didn't have one taste of his poppy seed cake, just threw it on the ground, which didn't surprise me. Victoria was the only one of my kids who did eat any of her cake at age one.

Having fun with all the attention from his siblings.

The one "baby" toy that he likes and we didn't have is the stacking rings. He always plays with them at the library, so I got him his own, and he loved them!


 Happy Birthday sweet Erik!


Here's a clip of him walking on Tuesday.

3 comments:

  1. what a doll! thanks for keeping up the latest and greatest of the adventures in Mercado land

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie- I can't believe he is one now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet baby, I mean BIG BOY!! Happy birthday, Erik!

    ReplyDelete