The Mercado Family



Monday, March 9, 2009

Dinosaurs and Crazy Mom

Victoria had a field trip on Friday at the U of M Natural History Museum. My job in her school is the Field Trip Representative for her class. Basically, I just collect the money from the parents ahead of time before a certain number of field trips, remind everyone of when each one is, and get to each one a little early to pay the money to the destination and hand out the name tags to the students. Since this one was farther away, about a half hour, and I usually get to each field trip right on time, rather than a little early, I was worried about timing, especially since it was in Ann Arbor, which is a somewhat more confusing area to drive in.

For some strange reason, I will blame it on my pregnant brain, I thought the field trip started at 9:15. So we rushed like crazy to get ready and leave. The museum is on campus, so I had to park far away. I stuffed Victoria in the bottom of the stroller so I could run/power walk up the hill to the museum. When I got to the museum the only way in was up three steps. I made Victoria get out of the stroller so I could pick up the thing and carry it up the steps. Maybe it would have been okay without Karissa being in it, if I had not been 6 1/2 months pregnant, or if I was not still recovering from the pinched nerve in my back from bending over and cleaning up vomit for a week, but it was painful! When I caught my breath, and realized that the museum store, which was where I was supposed to pay, was closed! I went up to where the dinosaurs were, looking for our class, thinking they had started without me, since I was a few minutes late by then. I could not see a soul! Then it dawned on me that the field trip started at 10:15, not 9:15!!

Well, we enjoyed the other two floors, space and Michigan wildlife, with no one else around and saved the dinos for the visit with our class. Luckily, I was on time and was calm and composed by 10:00 to pay the museum store and welcome Victoria's class.

The field trip was interesting. Victoria got to hold a three-clawed hand bone and some teeth. She enjoyed looking at the huge displays and of course had to pretend to be a dinosaur at home the rest of the day. She had fun, despite getting her finger stuck in the elevator at the parking garage where we had to fill out an emergency claim, but it was minor and they waived the parking fee, which was the only perk.


(I don't know why this picture comes up like this here, it doesn't have the line in my picture file.)

As for my craziness, on Saturday morning (the 7th) I woke up and pinched Jason and Victoria and said, "Happy Saint Patrick's Day!" He quickly informed me it was not St. Patrick's Day and that I was losing my mind. I realized he was right since it comes after my birthday, which I hadn't celebrated yet. So, I didn't get to make the green scrambled eggs I was planning on making for breakfast and had to explain to Victoria that her mom made another mistake!

(Here's the crazy mom at 28 weeks, per request for another belly shot.)

3 comments:

  1. Val!!! You are SO CUTE and SO FUNNY!!! Glad it all worked out okay. HOpe Victoria's finger is feeling better. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the up-side, you look adorable. On the downside, I am as big as you and not nearly as pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a cute pregnant mama!! ^__^

    ReplyDelete