The Mercado Family



Sunday, April 14, 2024

Eclispe 2024

 We didn't plan on going to see this eclipse because we had seen the last one in 2017. Not that it wasn't the most amazing thing and we didn't want to see it again, but the timing wasn't good and Victoria was not with us, so we just figured we'd see the 98.9% here. 

As the time came closer and there was more talk about it, I learned that it was going to be a little longer than the one we saw and maybe a little better because of the solar flares. Then I started to learn about how unprepared our schools were for this amazing natural phenomenon that was to be seen at 100% totality just an hour away from our home.

For instance, our spring break was two weeks earlier, I think they should have changed it for this event, or just given us a half or full day off, regardless. Austin's track coach had made a mandatory indoor meeting for them to be at. The high school was going to be out of school just in time, but they didn't want students who were still at school (including those still at middle school and elementary) to risk looking up and hurting their eyes. Supposedly, if they were still in school, they would have had to have parental permission for the students to go outside and have provided eclipse glasses for every student. Erik's middle school did provide glasses for everyone, but they got out of school just before the eclipse reached totality, so they were excused just in time anyhow. Some families went somewhere and missed school, from what we heard from our friends. A large number of people drove the hour to Toledo, OH. at some point so see 100%. I know at Red Bell, most of my students went somewhere to see it and weren't at school.

I decided that I wanted to drive as far south toward Toledo as I could after work before I hit too much traffic, and just see what I could. I ended up somewhere in the very southern end of Michigan near a river where a bunch of people were looking up at it, so I pulled over to see how much they could see. I was there for about 5 minutes and Jason told me where I was at was 99.77% totality. When I got back in my car to see if I could go further, the traffic was horrific, so I went back to my spot and enjoyed it there. 

Now I can say that truly, 100% is the way to go and is so much better than just 1% less than that.  I enjoyed what I saw still because I could imagine the rest of it. It still got dark enough for the street lights to turn on, the creatures started making their evening noises, and it definitely got cooler. I could see the diamond part of the diamond ring that the eclipse makes, but not the ring. Also, pictures aren't as good without totality.

It turned out that Ausin's coach canceled that meeting and they all got to go home so he could see it, along with Kade, Erik, and Jason who all had the glasses. They all enjoyed it and could imagine the rest of it as well, from when we saw it before. 20 more years til the next one, right?





1 comment:

  1. We aren't anywhere near the path of totality, but our schools were similarly lame about keeping the kids inside all day. Brynna had a well child check up during the partial eclipse, so we enjoyed what we could see. Griffin was lucky - his teacher during that period got eclipse glasses for her kids and took them outside to see it. I'm glad you got to see what you saw!

    ReplyDelete