The Mercado Family



Sunday, March 17, 2024

Birthday Week

 I did a little celebrating each day this week for my 46th birthday. I'm counting last Saturday as the first day of celebrations when Austin and I went to lunch at Panera Bread after his piano federation, where he performed his pieces superiorly (that's what he was awarded!) Austin's favorite place to eat is Panera and he didn't hold back! Track started up last week, so he says this was his last giant meal before he really gets into training. I loved talking with him about eating, health, anad exercise- some of my favorite topics!



The sister missionaries came over for dinner on Sunday. Since one of them is from Rexburg, I felt a connection with Victoria during our conversations over dinner. 

On Monday, during lunch at Red Bell, one of my students and I were talking about birthdays and I had mentioned that mine was the next day. I guess another one of my students had overheard this comment, so the next morning when I walked in, a bunch of students were wishing me a happy birthday, much to my surprise! The student who had overheard my comment at lunch the day before said, "Ms. Valerie, I remembered it was your birthday and told everyone!" I was completely surprised that a 4-year-old had retained that information and did something about it. She continued to ask about my birthday all morning long, like how old I am and what we were doing to celebrate. It was very sweet.

I just snacked on an apple during lunch that day so I could go to lunch with Jason aftewards at First Watch, a breakfast and lunch place literally 2 minutes from our house that has delicious and healthy choices. Of course, the minute we walked in, Austin called saying he didn't feel well and then the nurse got on the phone told us we should pick him up. So after we ordered, Jason left to go get Austin, then came and rejoined me for a then very quick lunch. 

Jason made me stir fry for dinner, per my request. While I was a my tap class that evening. Kade finished making my cake and everyone else finished their birthday gifts/cards for me that we got to enjoy together when I returned. At tap, my friend brought mini cupcakes for everyone and they tapped out "Tappy Birthday" to me. It was so fun!


A dear friend of mine took me to lunch on Wednesday to Kimchi, after work, where we had some very good conversation and food.

On Thursday I took off work to go on the Arts Academy field trip to the Holocaust museum as a chaperone with Kade. A grandson of a Holocaust survivor spoke to us for 40 minutes about his grandpa's experiences. It was enlightening, horrifying, and educational, as was expected. Our tour focused mostly on the artistic aspects of the Holocaust. It was extremely well-done.



The tree here is a sapling cut from a chestnut tree that Anne Frank could see through her hiding place.



This was painted by a survivor who wanted to express the amount of prisoners at the camps after they were set free and as they tried to move on with their lives. 

We got to go to lunch at a strip mall afterwards. I used my Starbucks gift card to get a wrap there, but Kade and his friends got lunch at Burger King. So I went to lunch, again, but this time with Kade.

This was on 3/14 and I had just discovered it was National Valerie Day!


I had one more lunch with another dear friend on Friday after work. It was at the Levant Kitchen where I got a mediteranean salad. It was delicious and I had another fabulous time conversing with a friend, but I was tired of eating out! 

I felt extremely celebrated by my friends and family here, as well as friends and family from afar. I wasn't feeling great on my birthday, but I did feel loved. 

Here are some more birthday pics. I need to do a better job at getting pics with my own friends, though.

Kade knows just what I like!!


Flowers!


Jason got me new sunglasses, which I needed, but never expressed that, he just knew.

Austin made me the keychain, Erik made me the snowman in LME, a friend gave me the chocolate, and Jason gave me the avocado holder. 

Some body scrub and a clear plastic bird feeder with bird seeds from other friends. Our cats are going to love the birds flying to our windows!

Outside decor 

The same friend gave me this bird welcome sign.

And my lunch friends gave me this plant and necklace. 





1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you were celebrated by so many dear ones! Your birth is definitely worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete