The Mercado Family



Monday, January 15, 2024

Ski Trip

 For our gift for Christmas from my mom, we were all going to go skiing when Victoria was here, but we never had any snow. In fact, it was pretty warm. I think I mentioned that it was 55 on Christmas Day. Victoria will go at some point in Idaho, I'm sure.

Austin and I were supposed to go on Jan 6 also, since he wants snowboarding to be his winter sport, or at least as many times as he can go, using the money that would have gone toward the dive team. Well, that no-snow issue determined that we couldn't go then either. A few days later, it looked like the forecast of snow for this weekend was going to be correct!

We went to one of our favorite places, Mt. Holly, about an hour away. It was a freakishly cold day, but Sunday and Monday are even colder, so I guess we made the right choice. The warmest part of the day was supposed to be at 11am when the temp was 28 with a real feel of 11. When we left at 5, it was in the teens with a real feel of 1. The winds were blowing so hard that my skis were blowing up on the lift a few times, and then the final blow (pun intended) was when the lift itself was being pushed to the side from the wind and all the snow from the ground was blowing around like a blizzard. I don't know where Jason was at the moment, but he would have had motion sickness if he had been on the lift at the time! 

Even still, the kids had a blast and weren't phased by the cold. Jason and I had a lot of fun too, though I got too cold. It didn't help that I somehow forgot my snow pants, but I did have thermal underwear, plus my winter running tights, so it could have been worse. I ended up putting on Erik's sweatpants over my other layers just to keep my bum dry from the snow on the lifts. Erik only needed his long underwear and snow pants. Jason forgot his snow pants too (ours were together, hanging up by the door...), but his two layers of pants were sufficient for him. 

The kids coming down for a practice round. 




Just about a year ago, Austin broke his wrist in both bones while snowboarding. We're pleased to say that we had no injuries this time! 




I was on one lift and they were on another here. 



They are all pretty good at skiing/snowboarding. I'm pretty impressed when we don't go as often as we would like!


Just before we left we actually saw some sky!



Right now it's -4 with a real feel of -7. Brrrr! I'm glad we're not going today!






2 comments:

  1. what a blast! snow pun intended! burrrr.
    glad you could get a skiing adventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!! And yay for no injuries. Hopefully that is a trend that will stick around throughout 2024.

    ReplyDelete