The Mercado Family



Thursday, June 8, 2023

Many Visits

 I don't know where to start right now. I had more things to blog about, but I'll give more details about those later. On my mind right now are my crazy days Saturday and Monday and the results today. 

Let me lay out my Saturday schedule first.

9:00-10:45 Erik's last soccer game (Victoria was at her first dance recital of the day during this time)

11:00-12:00 Austin's piano recital

1:00-3:00 Erik was at his school fun fair at High Velocity Sports (got a ride with a friend)

1:30-4:30 I was volunteering at the bake sale for the second dance recital

6:00-9:00 we were all at the 3rd dance recital

Some time during the bake sale I received a text from Erik's friend Nicholas' dad saying that he thought Erik had broken his pinky while being a goalie at the fun fair during a soccer game with some middle schoolers. When I came back to eat between dance recitals, Erik was in a lot of pain. We iced him, gave him ibuprofen, and convinced him to come to the Victoria's last dance recital. Jason got him a big slurpee to hold onto for the beginning and I got him something from the bake sale to much on during intermission. 

Meanwhile, Austin, who celebrated his birthday the day before and had missed school for 2 1/2 days due to a fever, developed a bad ear infection on his birthday night at the movie theater. We were giving him ibuprofen Saturday and Sunday. So, Monday morning, I woke up knowing that I would have to make an appointment for Austin's ear and Erik's finger that day. I already had an appointment set up for Kai to get her cast off. 

Austin's appointment was first. His ear infection was so bad, the doctor said she thought it was probably killing him just to move his head. He got some antibiotics and is doing much better. I left work early to take him and after dropping him back off at school with more ibuprofen and an antibiotic pill in his system, I picked up Kai to take her to get her cast off. I came home and took my mom to the airport, then picked up Erik for his visit to the Urgent care that we had signed up online to get in line for. Having had lots of experience with broken bones lately, I know you can only get bones casted after the swelling has gone. So, we kept giving him pain killer and I took him when I could. They confirmed the break, referred us to the very same orthopedic office that I was at earlier that day, and I took Erik there today. 

I didn't take pictures of all the angles. I just can't look at it too much, it makes me hurt.

The bone is definitely broken and the doctor suggested he get surgery to put some pins in, but also wasn't against Erik just getting a cast for 4 weeks instead. He said that it won't be very obvious that it isn't straight, in the future, and that he shouldn't have any mobility problems. The surgery would have just been mostly cosmetic. Since Erik was absolutely adamant that he not get surgery (it wasn't "I don't want to" , it was "I won't get surgery!") we decided the cast would be fine. Back in January,  Austin didn't have a choice and it was a little traumatic, but definitely worth it in his case, though I don't know how Erik would have faired with all the surgery procedures. He was crying with just the thought of it. That's why he looks so happy getting his cast on!


Big cast for a little pinky...


We go back next week for another x-ray to be certain it's healing properly, otherwise, he'll have to get surgery right away before it's too late. So, everyone pray that it will be healing properly, because he's still adamant that he won't get surgery. 

Phew, I'm tired...

2 comments:

  1. what a day! what a mom! what a lucky family to have the love and sacrifice that you make each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's intense!! I'm praying for Erik 🙏

    ReplyDelete