The Mercado Family



Saturday, May 14, 2022

Happy Mom!

I'm a little behind in my blogging, so I'm going to try to condense a few things here, otherwise, they won't get blogged about!

First of all, let me say that my expectations of Mother's Day were different this year than other years and I enjoyed this year's so much more because of that. On Saturday, it was a very busy day, but I considered myself lucky to have been able to attend a soccer game for Erik, an orchestra concert for my older 3, and an invitational track meet that I had signed up to volunteer for at the beginning of the season when we were highly encouraged to volunteer at this particular one because it brings in funds for our girl's track team every year and is our main fundraiser. Well, I didn't end up having a child in the meet or even attend with me, but I enjoyed the connections I made with some of Victoria's coaches and parents of other teammates. (More on track later).

(Austin, Kai, and Victoria all got to play a big group song, Croc Rock, which was so fun! I tried record amongst the three of them.)

On Sunday, Mother's Day, Erik started the day reading the Friend, without me reminding him to do that. Victoria did my hair and Austin and I made music together, him on the cello, me on the violin, and Kai made the potatoes for dinner and a berry cake. Jason was hoping they would make me breakfast, but he ended up doing it and I was just so happy for the other services they gave me, that it didn't matter. I felt loved. 
Before hair and make-up!

Delicious cake!

I thought this was so cute of Erik and Luke.


(This video was of Austin just messing around.)

Most people read about Victoria's and my visit to the cardiologist this week on social media, so I won't go into detail here, but I just want to reiterate how amazing that doctor was in how he answered all of our concerns, spent time explaining things to us, could empathize with Victoria and gave her a plan of action. These past couple of months have been really hard for her without being able to dance. Even not being able to run, which she had just started, and weight train that she started in the fall, was discouraging for her. What really impressed me though, was that she just kept going to all the dance classes and all the track practices and workouts, doing very light weights and eventually finding something she could participate in for track- discus.


(Here's one of her throws at a meet.)

Her coach thought she should try throwing because the setup for the throw is almost like a dance itself. Well, she ended up doing amazingly well! About a week after started throwing, she moved up to Varsity because she was passing all the JV throwers. Between 2 track meets she made a 10-foot PR, throwing 75 feet at the second meet! She got third place at that meet and earned her letter! She was invited to the next invitational after that. She didn't get to go to that last one that I referred to above because that one was for the top two throwers, plus she couldn't have gone anyhow with the orchestra concert that day. The field events were going on at the same time as the concert. 

All in all, she has shown perseverance in trying new things as she was waiting on that cardiologist appointment. 

My kids all worked hard to make Mother's Day special for me and so did Jason, even though he's almost driven himself to the ground with all the work he's doing on the yard. More on that next time!

Hair and make-up done!

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I *love* this post!! Yay for adjusted expectations and the peace that follows them. Way to go to all the kids on their amazing accomplishments, too!

    ReplyDelete