The Mercado Family



Tuesday, May 17, 2022

46!

 Jason's birthday was on Sunday. I hope he felt celebrated, even though it was a busy Sunday that followed a hectic week. One excellent part about it was the start of no more yard work for him for a little while, besides watering. 

Spreading fertilizer 


The week leading up to his birthday found him outside moving dirt around, if he wasn't on his regular Ford job, so we could take down the old garden plots, even up some places in our yard, and fill the new garden plots. Plus he had found another space in the yard with buried concrete, under the grass. He worked his tail off trying to get it all ready so that Friday night he could aerate it and then Saturday he could overseed, fertilize, and cover the bare spots with hay.

We can't believe how much concrete was buried under our grass!

 

Our garden plots! I transplanted the garlic and the raspberries. Everything else is going to be planted in a few weeks. 

Everything all smoothed out where the old garden plots were.


I helped where I could, but mostly I was driving the kids around to where they needed to be, or attending events and doctor's appointments with them. Friday night was the birthday party of little Jacob, who we will be watching this summer and just turned 5. Erik is his favorite person in the world, so I made sure that at least the boys and I could attend the party. 

Cute Jacob!


After a full day in the yard Saturday, Jason was beat up by Sunday! I was pretty tired myself from the busy week and late nights on the weekend, as well as getting over the tail end of a bad cold that's been lingering forever. 

Since Jason is in the bishopric and is in charge of the talks this month, which is a 5 Sunday month, he's been really busy with filling the talks, along with assigning the topics to speak on. He ended up asking Austin to speak this Sunday as a last resort, since no one else could! I told Austin that it was part of his birthday gift to Jason. He did a fantastic job on his talk, though I actually missed it as I was visiting another ward to pass on the preliminary girl's camp forms that we have to get going on. With Mother's day last Sunday and Memorial Day weekend coming up, we have limited Sundays to do that, but luckily I was only gone during our church time, so I didn't miss any extra time with Jason, except for when he had to go to Standard's Night that evening with the 3 older kids. Phew, didn't I say it was a busy Sunday?

I was able to make him homemade biscuits to go with his eggs and sausage for breakfast and he opted to grill hamburgers and brats for dinner. I made homemade fries and a cheese sauce for him to pour over them, as well as on his broccoli, which I know would always be his preferred way of eating broccoli, but I just don't do that. I'm not a cheesy person!! 

Only 2 cheeseburgers because Victoria and Kai can't have dairy anymore.  See why Jason wanted to grill? His always looks so perfect!

His cheesy dinner!


Kai made his birthday cake and tried to make it a Horton Hears a Who theme (you know, On the 15th of May in the Jungle of Nool...), but she ran out of time, so she just wrote, "On the 15th of May... is Dad's birthday!






He enjoyed talking to family and seeing friends at church with their good wishes. He was in good spirits, despite being super sore. 

He got some nice cards, candy, Dr. Pepper,  and a Nebraska camping chair! He'll get plenty of use out of this chair!


Happy Birthday to our hard-working Dad and hubby! We love him!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to such a great guy!! Tis the season for yard work soreness, but that's true on his birthday every year, I guess! The yard is looking so nice, and your new beds are perfection!

    ReplyDelete