The Mercado Family



Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Hats

 Two weeks ago the Young Women in our ward learned how to knit hats using a 36 peg loom. Dawn Kennedy, who's a flight attendant and isn't always available for weeknight activities, was the teacher. She had learned to make hats from a passenger on one of her flights and has been a hat-making machine ever since. She not only taught the girls how to do it at the activity, which, in only an hour and a half with 15 girls probably didn't yield a lot of results, but she had enough hats saved up that she gave one to each girl there! 

Kai gave me hers and it's the softest, most comfy hat ever! I immediately sent a thank you text to Dawn and she offered any free lessons so my girls could learn a little better if they wanted. They had enjoyed it but weren't really interested in making a whole hat. Austin, however, wanted to take lessons and make his own hat.

Dawn and I set up a good time for our schedules last Monday and she got us started on the rim, which took about an hour. We then had two days to finish up so we could meet on Wednesday for the next part. We had all the way till Monday, yesterday, to complete the final part because it was a longer portion. Then yesterday, she helped us finish them off! We love them so much and it was so fun and relaxing to make them. Austin's already starting another one and even brought it to school today to work on during downtime, which he totally did! He wants to be like Dawn and make hats for everyone! 

Austin was fairly quick and very dedicated to making his hat.

Just completed his first hat!



I made the blue one and Austin made the black and gray one. We borrowed the regular size loom from a friend for Austin and I couldn't find one to borrow, so I just bought one. The only one available at JoAnn's was a child-size one. I figured I could give it to some cute little kid I know. Turns out, Austin likes the smaller one better. So we traded hats! 


This is the one Dawn made that Kai gave me. The pom on top makes it so adorable!

Here's what the loom looks like. I'm starting another one on this borrowed loom since Austin's using our smaller one for his next hat. We love our new hobby!


2 comments:

  1. LOVELOVE... I am not surprised that Austin caught on to this, remember how he did with knitting,, you go Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun, and so awesome to have a teacher in your ward

    ReplyDelete