The Mercado Family



Thursday, November 4, 2021

Halloween Hype

 If you didn't know, Halloween is the favorite holiday of most of my kids. Like, crazy favorite for some of them. They would really want to have that house that is super spooky and really decked out for Halloween. Too bad for them, I don't really like all the creepy decor, but I allow them to participate in as many Halloween activities as we can manage.

Here's what happened this year:

On Wednesday after practice, the marching band and color guard got to enjoy a trunk or treat put on by the parents. I got a picture of my trunk and costume, but totally forgot to take a picture of Kai going by! There were so many kids to give candy to, it just slipped my mind!

I had a bean bag toss for my trunk decor. And I've decided that onsies are the way to go for Halloween costumes here. They're so warm and cozy!

Victoria went to a haunted house Wednesday night with some friends. She was supposed to go to YW to help prepare the games for the ward trunk or treat on Friday, but since she has competition dance practice on Fridays now she couldn't go. So she enjoyed a spooky night at the haunted house on Wednesday instead.

Thursday after school was Austin's middle school "dance" and activities. I didn't get to be there, but it sounds like it wasn't as fun as he had hoped. There was no food and just games and music. I don't know what he was expecting, but I feel bad that he didn't have fun.

He wanted some creepy make-up, but no skull like I had planned on doing. With the face mask on, though, you couldn't see most of it. This was for the first day of Halloween fun, so it got better.


Erik's school hosted their Pumpkin Path on Thursday as well. It was basically trick-or-treating outside the school to each grade level along a path of carved pumpkins that the kids provided. Each grade level had a theme and the kids got lots of candy. Erik really enjoyed his activity!

Erik made a fabulous Harry Potter and Kai did such a good job on his scar that Jason actually asked him what had happened!


Friday night was the ward trunk or treat. After picking up Kai from color guard, it turned out she wanted to go with us if she could bring a friend. We met Jason and the boys there, including little Jacob, my friend Becky's son. She had to work and Jacob loves hanging out with Erik. It worked out great! After the party, a bunch of youth met up for an after-party. Kai had to get home to bed for competition the next day, but lucky for Victoria she could go to that after dance. They watched Coraline.



Look who stole my cow onsie idea! It's ok, it was fun to wear my overalls too...

The cutest little construction man!

A little blurry, but this is night 2 of the make-up. A little more realistic.


I had to snap this real quick because I missed her at the marching band activity. Kai was a serial killer. The stick had to stay home because it's a weapon. 

Austin and Owen at the church.

Isa and Kai. Friends make serial killers less scary-looking....


Believe it or not, nothing Halloween-related occurred on Saturday. For Sunday, we had decided to have some friends from church over for an early dinner. We chose friends whose youngest are in their teens so we didn't get in anyone's way for family trick or treating prep. We allowed Kai to go to Olivia's house for dinner and trick or treat. She's been going to Olivia's house for Halloween since 3rd or 4th grade. Her mom called me specifically to ask me if I would allow Kai to go there, even though it was on a Sunday. While we missed Kai here, we had fun with friends. I served pulled pork sandwiches (the best I've ever made!) and baked beans. Friends brought mashed potatoes, a veggie tray, and yummy desserts (including a delicious trifle!) 


 Halloween house made during the football games. 



Kai and Olivia



The teens at Sunday dinner.

The adults- Who knows where Austin and Erik were at this moment?

My cute silverware holders!

We never pictured our carving night, as in years past. They were carved at different times due to everyone's crazy schedules and because Victoria carved hers at YW.


I had planned on going trick or treating with Jason and my boys. I figured we would meet up with the Harris family, Austin's good friend down the street, like we usually do. However, Kaleb stopped by around 6, ready to go! His parents were with his brothers. It was then that I realized that Austin and Kaleb are in 7th grade, they don't need parents to go with them! So, they went off with Erik. Jason and I talked with neighbors outside. It was a very fun evening for me! At almost the final hour of trick or treating, Victoria decided to go trick or treating with some younger friends of hers, then she picked up Kai on her way back. 

Austin and Kaleb



It was definitely different than what I was thinking, but it was a worthwhile time with great friends!



1 comment:

  1. So fun to read about all the ways y'all enjoyed the spooky scary season!

    ReplyDelete