The Mercado Family



Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Frozen Fun

 I had said that I really wanted this winter to either be very warm or very snowy, in order for us to get through this Covid winter. Well, we got lots of snow! It has helped give us things to do outside, which has been nice. 

We had gotten a fair amount of snow, and we thoroughly enjoyed that, then we got dumped on with way more snow, so we knew we were covered for all of February, at least!

This was from the previous snowstorm.

This is from the next one. The snow was a lot deeper!



Erik and I went sledding on a day they canceled elementary schools last minute so teachers could get the vaccine. It was very cold that day!!

Austin and his friends made a snow fort. This was before the big snow came.


Victoria and I went skiing on one of my days off when my student had Covid. It was her easier school day and we just decided to go for it and try my new-to-me skis! 

You're supposed to see the "mountain" in this pic, but obviously, it didn't come out. It does look kinda mountain-like from the road, I swear!


She's taller than me now and has always had long arms, so we traded coats. She wore what I have been wearing for years and I wore her coat (which is a 14-16 from Costco). This little girl there had the same coat on and when I asked her mom to take a picture of Victoria and me, she thought I meant for her to take a picture with me. I had talked to her earlier about our matching coats, so I think she felt a bond between us:)





The skiing was great and not too crowded. There was a ski competition that we watched as we went up the lifts. We even did some backcountry skiing in between trees and over a couple of jumps. We were brave!



Karissa invited some friends to go sledding one day. They got to go with the youth one day for an activity as well. 


Before I knew how much snow there was going to be, I had booked a session for outdoor ice skating in Downtown Detroit over mid-winter break. Karissa brought Olivia and we went on a very cold morning, which was the best time for us to go so it wouldn't be in the way of Victoria's work schedule on the day off. Not many people were there, probably because it was around 10 degrees! But we had made the reservation, which is hard to do, so we were sticking to it!

 



The ice was hard to skate on because it was snowing off and on, which made the ice less smooth. 









Erik and I went to Downtown Plymouth to see the ice carvings. The girls had a YW activity there as well. There were some cool sculptures, literally! 






This weekend, Austin and Jason get to go winter camping with the YM. Since we had some warmer weather today and the sun was shining, the snow is melting and tomorrow it's going to be even warmer. They're afraid of camping in puddles!

1 comment:

  1. Those ice sculptures are amazing! And I'm glad y'all have had fun times in the snow.

    ReplyDelete