The Mercado Family



Thursday, February 4, 2021

Back to School- in Winter

The 6th graders in our district got to go back to school in person last week for the first time in almost a year. There are two cohorts: the blue and green one. Austin is assigned to the green one. The blue cohort attends Monday and Tuesday from 8-2:10. On those days, those in the green cohort do asynchronous learning at home. The teachers post assignments for them to complete on their own. Wednesdays are on Zoom for everyone, while they sanitize the schools. Thursday and Friday the green cohort attends. Austin says his classes have only 10-14 kids in them. They wear their masks all day, except during lunch. On the first day, they chose where they were going to eat lunch at and they have to stay at that place for the rest of the school year. 
Can't really see him here, but it was a very cold day!

Discovery Middle School


Let me say that I think in-person schooling is so wonderful!! Austin was so much happier and I could tell a lot of pressure had been lifted off his shoulders. He's able to at least see some friends, receive in-person instruction, and even write on actual paper and turn it in!
He got started on his homework right after school because he was so excited to do it on a piece of paper!



Meanwhile, Karissa has been greatly anticipating going back this week. She's been talking more than I have noticed in a long time, and very animatedly! The 7th and 8th graders went back this went, so Karissa started today. She was placed in the blue cohort, but I had her switched to the green one so that I can take her and Austin to school on the same days, even though she takes the bus from his school to hers, I still have to drive to the same place. And when some of the ice melts, until orchestra starts again, they can ride their bikes together to and from school. 
Still snowy, but not as cold today.

Discovery Middle School, going to East Middle School on a bus


I don't have a 9th grader this year, but they started back at the high school last week when the 6th graders went. The district wanted to let the youngest grades go back without having other kids around so they could get used to their new school. Unfortunately for Victoria, however, the 10-12 graders don't go back till March 1. The high school is huge, so I guess they want them to have more time without all the kids, though that seems a little extreme to me. I do know some other groups are going with special classes like mechanics and shop and of course those in special ed. I don't know how many that makes it, but maybe that was enough students at the high school for now. 

Victoria is doing a good job hanging in there. At least it's only two days a week where all her siblings are gone for school, and that's only for a little bit because Erik goes to school from 1:30-4, so Austin and Karissa are home pretty soon after he leaves.
This was just a little while before we left for school. A beautiful morning!



On a side note: I went home early today because I have another student who tested positive for Covid. She was in class on Tuesday. I don't know any new details yet, but I know I won't be going to work for a little while. That makes 2 out of my 15 students who have tested positive this school year. Not very good odds. It's ironic because I was just thinking how happy I am to have somewhere to go each day and keep my mind occupied. Oh well!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous sky in that last pic - and such a symbol of hope! Our state gets to start heading back to the classroom Monday, but not in our school district yet. When we do go back, our schedule is supposed to be similar to yours. My kids (it's by last name) have Th&F at school. I can't wait!!

    I hope you stay healthy! I had a covid scare, but my symptoms turned out to be side effects from a new heart medication. We keep trying to control my blood pressure. No one told me that my new med could cause headaches, fatigue, dry cough, and fatigue until I received a courtesy text from CVS a week after starting the medicine! By then I was so down and out that I was sure I had covid. The only weird thing was that I didn't have a fever. But I got tested again anyway. Glad it wasn't the rona, and I hope you don't get it either!

    ReplyDelete