The Mercado Family



Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Did You Know?

 Did you know that Erik had an expander AND braces on his top teeth for almost a year? He got them last year just after his 8th birthday. I remember taking his baptism photos with his gaping teeth, and then the next day he got a bunch of metal in his mouth. I actually didn't plan it that way, though I knew he would be getting some brackets on his front teeth, I didn't realize it was going to happen the same day he got his expander. I thought it was going to be a little later. 

He was supposed to get them off in April, more or less. I already know that when the orthodontist tells you a date for removal of the metal, it's not usually correct, so I didn't really hold much to that. I was thinking "sometime in the spring". Well, that was the middle of quarantine and since he couldn't go to the orthodontist to get things adjusted and for them to assess his progress, by the time we got back to the office in June, his teeth were not doing what they were supposed to have done. Soooo, they worked hard in bringing his teeth back the way they wanted them. 

Finally, a few days ago, they took them off! He has a retainer to wear at night, but I'm sure he'll need another round of something after all his molars become permanent. With his really bad under bite and huge teeth coming in in the front, this first round needed braces with the expander. 

Austin is now very excited that he has the green light to get his braces in January. That's his next appointment and I told him if Erik was all done by then,  he could get his. We don't need too many kids in braces at one time!!






At the orthodontist's office.

Look at that mouth!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for round one being complete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and what a mouth that is!! I love sharing words of wisdom and love

    ReplyDelete