The Mercado Family



Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sneaky Snow Day

Our weather here has been up and down. The last two weeks of February were very mild, even getting into the mid 50s and low 60s for a couple of days. It was nice! Of course every time it does that too early, I get a little nervous, knowing that the weather will get really cold again before it stays warm and it will make it extra hard to handle those cold days after such nice weather.

Well, March 1 in the evening, the weather came in like a lion. We got about 4 inches of snow and it was a very wet snow. It snowed, and slushed the whole evening, but the next day was supposed to be 41 and sunny, so we knew we'd have a messy commute the next morning until it started to melt throughout the day. I guess when the person-in-charge-of-cancelling-school checked out the roads at 4 am, they were just slushy and wet, however, around 6am when he checked again, it had frozen over and there was a lot of ice on the roads. About the time Victoria gets up to get ready was when we got the call that school was cancelled. Needless to say, it was a big surprise for everyone. The kids were excited, I was doubtful, knowing how nice it would be later that day, and a lot of people were annoyed. 

We made the most of it. I still went to work and took my kids with me. They always have fun at Red Bell and it was Dr. Seuss' birthday, so there was a lot of fun going on! Most of my students showed up and they love it when I bring my kids. We had planned ahead and brought our sleds and snowboards to Red Bell. The best sledding hill in our area is down the street from Red Bell, so right after work, we went there and not a soul was there! It was a shocker because it's always full of people, especially on snow days. The sun was shinning, we were there after lunch, it was prime time!

We had just gotten two more snowboards from a neighbor's trash pile. They were perfectly nice and had a good slide to them. I was happy I could try more snowboarding than last time since no one was around. I was a little uncomfortable last time since there were so many kids around. I didn't want to squash anyone, nor did I want to get squashed! Victoria, Austin, and I mostly snowboarded and Karissa and Erik sledded, but they both did try the snowboard and once Karissa did, she was hooked!

Finally, a man with his two grandchildren came and the boy played with my boys for a little while and we shared our snowboards and they shared their super fast sleds. It turned out to be a great snow day for us!!






No comments:

Post a Comment