The Mercado Family



Monday, March 19, 2018

Fretting 40

Since the new year, I had been slightly fretting turning 40. I know it's just a number, and not an old one, but I have known a lot of people getting sick and landing in the hospital, and worse, and I realized that this was the year I was to turn 40. That is definitely mid-life. Half of 80. People in their 40s have kids getting married and going to college (luckily, my kids are younger, but it could still happen for us in our 40s).

 I like the exactness of numbers, so I like to know the temperature of the weather, the temperature of someone with a fever, my weight (every day)... So, somehow, the idea of 40, being exactly in mid-life, or maybe not, kind of made me think a little deeper about things.

Luckily, Jason already passed his 40th, so I didn't have any mid-life crisis spending, because we've already been doing that, in our Jason-and-Val-big-spending way. I've mostly been concerned with my relationships with people: friends and family around me.

That being said, my 40th birthday came and went and I was just starting to get over strep throat, again. I had it a month earlier. The doctor said the amoxicillin didn't cut it, so I got something stronger. I had followed all the rules. Washed and disposed of everything I could. No one else around me has had it yet. I knew Friday night, when I couldn't sleep due to my sore throat, that I had it again. My birthday being on Monday, I called first thing Saturday morning to get in and get it diagnosed and taken care of. Our celebration plans of going to the movies and to get seafood went to the wayside. Luckily, by my birthday, I had been on meds long enough to not be contagious anymore and to feel  better. I enjoyed my day, though I was extra tired the whole week. The time changing didn't help much either.

One of the highlights of my day was volunteering in Erik's class, as I do every Monday, to help with i-pads. He was very excited I was going to his class on my birthday and told his teacher. When I arrived, she had written "Happy Birthday Ms. Valerie!" on the smart board and their task that day was to write that on their i-pads and make a google doc out of it. They also sang to me in sign language and Erik was sure to tell the whole class how old I was. He also told everyone we saw when I picked up from school. My own students, when I wrote down "40" on the white board, enjoyed discussing the difference between 14 and 40, as some thought I was 14 and not 40.

Funny card from the kids that played music.


Jason really surprised me with this awesome Sony 600 mirrorless camera! I have to say that it was a highlight of my day too;) 

He always brings me flowers on special days :)

Cake, made and decorated by loved ones :)

Now that I've been 40 for a week, I'm not fretting it anymore. Just living it and trying to be fablulously 40!

No comments:

Post a Comment