The Mercado Family



Tuesday, February 13, 2018

It's Snow Fun!

We got majorly dumped on last week. We had a couple of inches of snow on the ground, then on Wednesday last week, we started hearing about this major snow storm coming.Victoria's teachers were talking about a snow day on Friday, Austin's teacher sent home their weekend Chrome books on Thursday, expecting it to be a snow day the next day. Everyone and their dog was at the grocery store on Thursday, including me, though I only wanted to get a couple of things and mail off the Valentines my kids made. As I left the store that day, the radio station was sounding the severe weather alert alarm in preparation for the big storm on Friday. By Thursday evening we got the email that school was cancelled. Everyone was thrilled!

The weather didn't disappoint. It started snowing early Friday morning, though not as early as I had thought, but early enough, and it just kept snowing. It snowed the entire day. After we received about 5 or 6 inches more, it stopped for the night, but then kept on snowing for part of Saturday. Another 2 inches fell, approximately. Sunday morning we had some freezing rain, so now we have huge amounts of snow with a nice layer of ice on top. It's quite interesting to walk in.
This was taken in the morning still.

This is the front yard later in the day. You can't see the little hill we formed from shoveling for our snow fort. All the whiteness is blinding here!

Friday morning angels.

Smoothing out our hill so we can make that tunnel. Hopefully we can do it tomorrow!

I didn't have to go in to work Friday morning, which Erik was sad about. He wanted to go into Red Bell. So we had preschool at our home. Jason saw about 8 other people in the huge building he works in. Only essential personnel had to go in. I guess he's essential!

Austin, helping Erik read.

Puzzle time!

We went sledding and Austin made a friend who let him use his snow board. Now Austin wants his own snow board. Luckily, I had gotten an old one from someone in the ward a couple of years ago. We tried it once, but it wouldn't slide, so we forgot about it. Saturday morning was busy and everything was taking a little longer with all the snow on the roads and our totally unreliable snow plowers around here, so I didn't have time to take the snowboard in to get serviced before trying it out on Saturday. I ended up just put a little car wax on and we went to the hill again Saturday afternoon and it worked like a charm! Austin loved it and did great, Victoria tried it and also did well, even I tried it! I have to say that snowboarding was fun! I don't think I would like it on a long stretch. I still prefer skiing, but on the sledding hill it was a nice change. I didn't get any pictures because my phone doesn't like the cold and has been shutting down when I'm in the cold too long, like when we were skiing, so I didn't even bring it out of the car. I guess I should try to remember my actual camera again.

Jason and I went out for Japanese on Saturday evening for our Valentines date and then we had a group of friends over that night for a game night. It was a fun tradition that I hope we can continue, now that our house is getting back in order after a few years of Project Basement.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I have to say that I love all my Valentines!

My mom sent my girls and I these dresses. We were excited to wear them Sunday.


For once Erik was sad that he couldn't be in a group pic (the one of the girls and I), so he wanted to get in his own with Jason. This is how he wanted it to be.

Never a dull moment!



1 comment:

  1. Funny Erik!!! We have been super dry this winter. Makes me worry for camping conditions this summer. Enjoy the white stuff!

    ReplyDelete