The Mercado Family



Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Once There Was a Snowman

We've had the craziest weather this January and February! It's either unusually warm and rainy (warm: in the 40s or 50s) or pretty cold, with wind chills below 15, meaning no one gets to go outside at school. The cold days aren't near as cold as we've had previous winters, but they feel really cold when it's 45 one day and then 20 the next with those wind chills. We haven't had much snow, but we finally got a good snow storm a couple weeks ago that gave us some good packing snow a few days later.

In all my 10 years living here with kids, I have to say that I've never made a "real" snowman before. Yes, many times we have gone out pushed a bunch of snow together and tried really hard to make a tall snowman, but they end up being more like snow hills with hats, scarves, and faces. Don't get me wrong, we have loved them and named them, but we just never had one that we rolled. Actually, a few years ago Victoria did with Bethany, but I wasn't outside and I missed it! I always blame the fact that I grew up in California and never learned the art of building a snowman. Everyone tells me you have to have to right packing snow, which happens on a slightly warmer day, I have learned. I think I've always gone outside the wrong days. Finally, a couple weeks ago, we went outside after school and rolled the snow. It worked! It rolled and rolled and we became rolling fools! We made the biggest snowman ever! Victoria made the bottom, Austin made the middle, and I made the head. It took Victoria and I to pick up the middle, it was so heavy. Karissa helped with forming and sculpting it just right at the end. It was great!
We named him Sherlock. 

He was even taller than me!

 Now, it has melted.
All gone...

At least it was sunny and nice on Valentine's day! It's a different story today- icy and cold. 

Jason spoiled me with these beautiful roses and my favorite- chocolate covered strawberries! He gave the girls their own bouquets as well. The boys got balloons and they all got their favorite candy. I made cinnamon rolls for breakfast and we had a delicious cod, shrimp, and tomato Italian dish. It was a pretty busy evening, though, so we were happy to eat together and for the cards and gifts we exchanged. Some of my kids were very generous and kind with their gift giving. No money spent, but favorite toys were exchanged, it was very sweet. I have been somewhat moody this week, but we have had some good moments in between my nagging spells.
That was our picture a couple of years ago. This was our 18th Valentine's Day together. It's right when we started dating 18 years ago.


The girls got fun socks from me, but I know the flowers were their favorite!
The boys got a some lego guys from me, but they sure loved the balloons!
February is halfway over, hooray!

1 comment:

  1. What a great snowman! Maybe the next time the conditions are just rirght, you can build a Dr. Watson snowman, too. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete