The Mercado Family



Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Behind the Scenes

About a year and a half ago, while on a road trip listening to one of our favorite cds, Dog Train, my kids had decided that they wanted to perform a dance and lip sync to the Don't Give Me That Broccoli song, at our next ward talent show. I kind of got excited too and we shared some ideas and then forgot about it. 6 months later, we found out there was going to be a ward talent show, so we got all excited and put together something that we practiced a few times. The talent show ended up being postponed due to lack of interest, so we sadly put aside our act. It was finally rescheduled for last weekend, about 9 months later. We were so happy to know we could practice and perform it finally! Luckily, everyone remembered what we had practiced before, so we didn't have to do much. We added a couple of new ideas and practiced on the church stage and felt ready!

We're very happy that Erik and I were able to make the performance. He had a rash and fever the night before (not a good combo!) and I was sure I was going to have to have someone take my place and that he just wouldn't be in it. I talked to a nurse and to my sister (nurse in training) on Friday night. I was prepared to take him in Saturday morning to see the doctor, but my prayers of the night before had been answered. When I returned from my run Saturday morning, he was totally fine. No rash, no fever and he hasn't since then. It was definitely the weirdest and most short-lived thing ever. No one in his class had anything related to a rash, nor has since.

Needless to say, we all got to perform and I was so pleased with how it turned out! I couldn't believe that Erik actually went through with it! I thought for sure he would change his mind. The only hitch was the fact that I said my line, " ...and here's your broccoli..." just as the curtains had finished opening. I guess the music crew couldn't hear my cue, so I dished up a lot of broccoli while we waited! I thought there was maybe a problem with he music, but the kids stayed right in character. I was so proud of them! And Jason was hilarious!

If you haven't seen it on facebook yet, here it is!


1 comment: