The Mercado Family



Thursday, January 19, 2017

That Time of Year

It's that sick time of year again. Erik caught something and had a high fever on Saturday. A couple of days later, his ears bothered him, but mostly he had a high fever and slept all the time. He lay in his bed for hours resting or actually sleeping. Sometimes he would come downstairs and fall asleep on the couch, but mostly he lay in his bed. He didn't watch any TV, which is way different from my other kids when they're sick. By Tuesday evening, Erik's fever was gone.

Karissa got a fever Monday morning and Austin and I did Monday night, so the four of us stayed home on Tuesday. Again, other than a fever and a little coughing from some, or a sore throat, no other symptoms. Jason got a fever Tuesday night with lots of coughing. Wednesday evening, Erik slept for 3 hours on the couch, which I thought was odd. We woke him up at 7:30 so he could eat something, but he said he wanted to go back to bed so I took his temperature and it turned out it was 103- weird! I called my sister who is going to nursing school. Between that and her 7 kids, she has seen it all! She gave me good advice which proved to be right. I took him to the doctor this morning. His infection turned out to be bacterial and he has a double ear infection. We got him some antibiotics and it turns out this is the first time he's ever had to take them! I knew he was a healthy boy, but I thought he had taken them at least one time. Now that he's on them, though, I'm worried about his eating habits in helping his good bacteria to grow back. Luckily he does like yogurt drinks, so hopefully we can keep him healthy!

Karissa went to school today, Austin will go tomorrow and I think I will be able to take Erik back to Red Bell. Through all of this, I've been fighting keep Victoria healthy with OnGuard and lots of disinfectant right before she returns home from school. She had a busy week and I didn't want her to  miss it.

Sunday night she was Dorothy in a little skit put on by the Stake for New Beginnings, New Beginnings is a grand welcome to the Young Women program at church for young women who recently entered the program, like Victoria, or will soon. It also is to get all of the girls excited for the beginning of a new year in accomplishing their goals. The theme was to follow the "yellow brick road" (values, good habits, goals, friends, leaders, and parents) to make it to our own personal "Oz" of what it is we want to accomplish, whether it is a mission, temple marriage, or something more immediate in the future like the school year, etc. It was a great evening and she did fabulous! We videotaped it, but didn't take any still shots.  (The following clip is just the end of it)


On Tuesday she had her second choir concert, which I attended instead of Jason, since he came home coughing like crazy.
Winter choir concert! It's kind of a skinny picture, but I had to cut off this guy in the background that I didn't pay attention to. I was still recovering and was a little out of it!

She got glasses on Saturday. They're just for seeing the board in class.

I wanted her to not be sick for dance and Young Women on Wednesday because she had missed the week before with a little sickness of her own, but not what we all got. Just a 24 hour stomach bug. Hopefully, she stays healthy so all my disinfectant work I will be performing momentarily will not be infected again!

Here's to good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment