The Mercado Family



Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Cheerleading


My friend has been trying to convince me of signing up my girls for the local cheer leading squad for years. Her boys have always played on the football team and now her girls are cheering. It's the Plymouth Canton Steelers for kids ages 7-14. I always dragged my feet about getting involved in it for two reasons. First, it's very busy during football season, then it's done the rest of the year, so not very consistent in terms of busyness for the entire school year. Also, back when I was younger, there were no cheerleaders at age 7. You tried out in middle school or high school after hopefully having some experience in dance or gymnastics to make you a better cheerleader. I figured if my girls wanted to do it later on, after having some experience in other areas, they could decided then. 

Karissa stopped taking dance lessons a couple years ago. She stopped taking gymnastics a couple of years ago as well. They just weren't her thing, neither was soccer or anything else she's tried. Her BFF Olivia was a Steelers cheerleader last year and loved it. She is also in TAG with Karissa, so when Karissa said she wanted to try it this year, I decided to sign her up. It will be a busy few months at the start of school, but Olivia survived, hopefully Karissa will too! 

The season started at the very first day of August. Practice has been M-Th from 5:30-7:30 pm. When school starts next week it goes down to T-Th, same time. There is a game just about every Saturday until November. Luckily, she absolutely loves it! It is helpful that we carpool with Olivia, but she really does enjoy it and has been catching on pretty well. Most of the girls on her squad (the freshmen), did it last year and some even a year or two before that on the jr. freshman squad. They work them hard, as all cheer leading coaches do, trust me, I know! They run laps, do burpees, star bursts, not to mention all the kicks and jumps they need to do. 

After the second week of practice they had a showcase for the parents. She did awesome! Besides seeing cheerleaders at football games the past 20 years, I haven't really watched cheer leading since I was one myself. I forgot how much I enjoyed it! I must have had a smile pasted on my face when I watched her because my mouth hurt from smiling afterwards!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gws8-WnV2Kg

(Sorry, I couldn't get the video to post directly to here. She's in the front on the left.She goes up into the shoulder sit on the left. Don't you love how the older girls just throw her up there? This was after only 7 practices! Not bad, huh?!)

 The first game was away last Saturday, It was hot and humid, but she said she had a lot of fun. I'm so excited she has found this new talent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKmOvCskVNE
(Halftime cheer. She's in the back on the right/middle. She goes up into the stunt on the right side.)


Before the showcase

First game!

She's in the back on the left.


1 comment: