The Mercado Family



Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Shed (aka Le Chateau)

It's the eve of the mini vacation we're taking to Mackinac Island and I have a ton of things to do, since we leave for Colorado not even 48 hours after we return from Mackinac, but I have to post about our shed. This project has been on my mind for many months now as I have tried to coordinate the tree cutters/stump grinders, the building permit office for the township, concrete contractors, and Grandpa Jim for the preparations for the shed. I don't want to bore everyone with my complaints about all the details, since I have a lot of them, but lets just say that I'm happy to have this project behind me and off my shoulders!! We ended up ordering the shed from Costco and Jim volunteered to help put it up (or put it up with our assistance).

Before he came, the kids, Jason and I cleared the ground of grass and weeds and dug out some dirt.
 Jim had to put some dirt back when he came, since we got carried away. Then he and Jason framed it.
 We ended up doing the concrete ourselves instead of contracting it out, which was our original plan. Jason got to carry the wheelbarrow, while Jim and I smoothed it out.

 We put our hand prints in to personalize it.
 Then, while Jason went to work the next week, Jim built it and I got to be his assistant for a lot of it.
 I learned I'm not very efficient at hammering nails, but I improved.
 It reminded me a little of making gingerbread houses and trying to keep all the walls square and sturdy while you put it all together. I just wish we could have used some good frosting!
 The kids enjoyed watching to process, when they weren't playing with Grandma Pat.
 They even wanted to "help".


 The best part was helping with the roof shingles. I can definitely say I learned a lot about building from this experience.
 Of course, I wasn't out there half the time Jim was, just a few hours here and there, but that was enough for me! We're grateful for his help in this. You need to know what you're doing when you purchase a "do-it-yourself" shed. He calls the shed "Le Chateau", so I guess we'll keep that nickname!
Meanwhile, Grandma kept the kids busy during the times I was unavailable.



Thanks Grandma and Grandpa Chatterley!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so impressed! It looks great and definitely deserves the nickname. Sorry about the hiccups in prep/coordinating stuff ahead of time. I can imagine the frustrations you encountered!

    ReplyDelete