The Mercado Family



Monday, January 6, 2014

What's Better Than Disneyland on Your Birthday?

Karissa was a lucky girl on her 7th birthday. We had planned to go to Disneyland that day, mostly because it was convenient and we got to meet my step-brothers there. We celebrated with a cake presents the night before at Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's house.



Karissa is totally into Hello Kitty, if you couldn't tell. Even her glasses are Hello Kitty. She is still just as cuddly as ever. Her teachers at church and at school adore her. She's just full of sweetness! She's also very sensitive, which is good when it involves others' feelings, but hard when her feelings get hurt so easily.

She is thriving as a first-grader. She loves to read and write, she's great at math, and drawing too. When there's a free moment at home, she's either creating a craft, writing a story, or playing make-believe.

She chose not to dance this year, but to try gymnastics. She still likes to dance at home, though, and is always making up some new song-and-dance. At gymnastics, she's known as the "crazy" girl. So my sweet one gets replaced somehow. She is getting better at cartwheels and especially handstands. Most of the time you'll find her standing on her head on the couch or chair. She also started piano and is outstanding at it! I don't know how I got such good piano players! I'll have to post the girls' Christmas piano recital soon.

Now for the Disney fun!

Karissa got to wear a big button saying it was her birthday so all the workers could wish her a happy day. It worked well, but it was so crowded that day that we didn't get to see as many characters as we had hoped. Luckily, the kids didn't know how much more crowded it was than other times I've been there. They all did much better than I thought they would. I was worried they would all fall to pieces by noon and we'd have to go home. We packed so much food (thanks for carrying a lot of it Grandpa!), and not all of it was the healthiest, just favorites, so I could keep them moving. I was so excited to be there and we got to see my step-brother Terry and his wife and kids and Kevin and his girlfriend (plus their other siblings with more kids), that their excitement was kept up, even with long lines.

Victoria enjoyed the atmosphere, faster rides, and hanging out with 8-year-old Audrey. Karissa loved the fairies the best and the rides second. Austin liked hanging out with the big boys, the Buzz Light Year ride, and Splash Mountain. We don't have any pictures during Splash Mountain as it was the end of the day and way too long of a line. Even still, all three of my older kids loved it and Austin's face was priceless on the picture they take as you go down the last drop. (I should have taken a picture of that, since I wouldn't buy one for $10). I was screaming in the picture, holding onto him, since I wasn't sure how scared he would be. He face was perfectly straight and his arms casually on the sides of the log. He loved that last drop! Erik liked being able to walk through the lines and eat Cheetos (something I never buy him!) I think he liked the rides he went on too. He had a good day.

At the end of the day (or night, I should say), we got to see part of the Fantasmic (is that what they call it?) show, which is one of my favorites. The kids reacted like I thought they would with their jaws dropping at the lasers, fireworks, loud music, and Mickey Mouse at the top. Erik loves to say, "Mi-ey Mmmmouse!"
Tram ride to the park.

Got to have a picture at the entrance.

Met up with our cousins.

Karissa and I snuck away to meet the fairies on our own. This was her favorite part of the day!

Tinker Bell

Fawn

Train ride

Car ride with Grandma Mary Lou

Cousin fun

Waiting for Pirates

Tough boys

Erik finally crashed

They had fake snow falling when they first lit the castle. With princess music playing, it was magical!

Small World

Small World was Christmas style





Happy Birthday Karissa!!

1 comment:

  1. Can't beat the happiest place on earth to celebrate Karissa's happiest day of the year! Glad she had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete