The Mercado Family



Monday, May 21, 2012

La Granja

Even though Karissa's in a bilingual class at her school, her class still goes on all the usual field trips that the school sets up. My personal favorite is the farm, aka la granja.

The routine at Real Life Farm is to let the kids play on the playground, then wait in line to ride the horses. My experience when Victoria went on this field trip was that the kids didn't want to leave the playground and wait in line to ride horses. They're preschoolers, they're just not into horses yet. Luckily, Karissa left the playground without too much convincing, though Austin insisted on staying and playing.
 Here's Karissa riding a beautiful horse on a beautiful day.
 When we went into the barn to do our "duties", Austin was a little afraid of the goats and wanted no part with them, but he went right to the rabbits and kittens. He's a little like me in that way. When I was younger I didn't like any animals except cats and rabbits, and no bugs! He's the most like that.
 Karissa took right to the kids.
 She enjoyed feeding the piggies. (This shot is crooked since I had to snap it quick before she had to pass the bottle to another kid.)
 Austin eventually decided to feed a baby kid, though again I had to shoot quickly before he dropped the bottle. That baby goat was a forceful drinker!
 Karissa got to feed the goats from her hands. Austin just kind of tossed the feed at them.
 We loved looking at the baby chicks. We got to hold one too- so soft and sweet!
 Milking the cow is always a highlight, though I never got a shot with her looking at me.
 Before we left for lunch, Karissa had to give the kids one last hug.
 The highlight for Austin was the hayride pulled by a tractor!
 Erik and I were there too!

3 comments:

  1. Fun field trip! I'm jealous that younger siblings can go on field trips. Our schools, even the preschools, don't let them. It makes it very hard for me to volunteer. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. BE STILL MY HEART!I remember taking you over to Pearce College all the time and doing the Farm thing and I still love it! At least. I love that the kids love it, and what cuties they are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun. Weird to think we would have gone with you if we still lived there. Karissa will start Kindergarten next year! Your kids are getting big. Erik is adorable. The girls are so cute in their glasses and dance costumes, and it looks like Austin is a good big brother. I love the updates!

    ReplyDelete